Live the Magic!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
The Admins
Fast Links
Current time
SPRING
Year: 2034
Term: 13
Month: March

Term 13 until TBA
House Points
Chat Box
Vote For Us
Affiliates
Photobucket Shadowplay HOS The Beginning Magical World of Harry Potter THE GIRL IS DANGEROUS Hogwarts Academy

Click here to affiliate!
Latest topics
» Chances (Ariel)
Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptySat May 28, 2016 11:34 pm by Ariel Wilde

» HUGE REALLY VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE - PLEASE READ
Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptySat May 21, 2016 11:40 pm by Hunter VanDerberg

» Sunny Afternoon (Open to Anyone)
Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptyFri May 20, 2016 6:58 am by Marielle Prince

» An Unfortunate Accident (Open)
Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptyMon May 16, 2016 2:41 am by Marielle Prince

» Marielle Aveline Prince
Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:57 pm by Sky

» Claim a Face
Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:08 am by Marielle Prince

» AFFILIATE HERE
Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptyMon May 09, 2016 2:42 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» My charries need something fot their life (a plots)
Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptyWed May 04, 2016 8:10 am by Jessica Kim

» The Gif Game 2.0
Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptyTue May 03, 2016 7:39 am by Humphrey Williams

» A Dying Trade (one of JETTS characters)
Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptyMon May 02, 2016 12:25 am by Augustus Beckett

» Wild Child [Ariadne]
Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptySun May 01, 2016 6:01 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» History Of Magic Application
Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» Semi - Activity Check!
Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 11:56 am by Hunter VanDerberg

» EVELYN'S "DRAWINGS"
Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 10:30 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» I Won't Say I'm In Love (closed-one shot)
Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 5:18 pm by Miranda Cunningham

Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)

Go down 
+3
James Riddle
Kim Frey
Ambrosius Umbranox
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ambrosius Umbranox
Adult
Ambrosius Umbranox

My Character
::
Activity: Adult, Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor, Head of Ravenclaw House

Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) Empty
PostSubject: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 10:08 pm

Defence Against the Dark Arts: Lesson One

Raindrops were violently lashing against the mist covered windows. After strolling around the classroom in order to check if everything was ready for the upcoming lesson, Ambrosius stopped near one of them. With a flick of his wand, he cleared the pane so that he could observe the landscape while awaiting the arrival of his students. Seeing his own reflection in the glass, he noticed that his face was paler than usual, making the shadows under his eyes all the more visible and terrifying. He ran his long and thin fingers down his cheeks, as to check if the man he was seeing was really himself. The contact of his hand on his cold skin triggered a strain of memories from a time long gone. In his head, the pictures followed one another: he saw the dark hair and radiant smile of the young woman who had been haunting his thoughts, and remembered her gentle touch as if they had never parted. However, he knew where this reminiscence would inevitably lead him, and he always tried to avoid adventuring into that painful place. On the window, a drop of water ran down the reflection of his cheek.

Suddenly, the door of the classroom opened, driving these troubling thoughts from his mind. Still a little shaken, he walked to his desk while his students were entering in small groups. Silently standing behind it, he waited for all of them to arrive before beginning the lesson.
Back to top Go down
Kim Frey
Admin
Admin
Kim Frey

My Character
Activity: Slytherin - Year 3, Radio Worker

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 5:03 am

Kim entered the room where their usual Defense Against the Dark Arts lessons are conducted. She took her usual place and scanned the whole room. At first, she was surprised seeing that there are no change in it but after noticing her professor, who look thinner and paler than usual, her mind started to guess how he may have some terrible ill during the past vacation.

Waiting for her other classmates to arrive, Kim wondered in silence what is the professor's past, realizing that he is one of the most mysterious person in the whole castle.
Back to top Go down
http://thedrunktrain.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 2:29 pm

As Aurora stepped through the doorway into the Defense against the Dark Arts classroom, she felt a heaviness in the air. She noticed her Head of House, Professor Umbranox, near his desk, looking unsettled. Aurora almost asked him what the matter was, before remembering the professor's stony personality. She walked inside in silence, hoping that they would study something interesting. Most of last year's classes had dealt with warding away shadow creatures. Only in the last lesson did they progress to knocking over other people.

When she saw Kim, Aurora waved, but didn't say anything, not wanting to disrupt the atmosphere that Professor Umbranox left on the environment. Setting her bag down, Aurora took out her wand andd rolled it between her fingers, ready to learn some new magic.
Back to top Go down
James Riddle
Adult
James Riddle

My Character
Activity: Adult

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 8:56 pm

James ran through the corridor leading to classroom 3C. He was almost late for once, even if it wasn't entirely his fault. He had indeed crossed paths with Peeves, the poltergeist who roamed the Castle continuously looking for ways to put students into trouble. This time, he was throwing water balloons at those who were passing through one of the corridors on the fourth floor. Having seen the mayhem that was awaiting him, James had decided to take a detour in order to avoid it. However, he got lost after a series of moving stairs and long hallways. Finally, after a a long wandering, he was extremely relieved when he perceived the familiar Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom.

Entering the room, he promptly headed towards his usual seat, grabbed his book from his bag and placed it on the desk in front of him. Noticing Kim and Aurora were already there, he gave them a silent nod and a smile, not wanting to break the silence that reigned in the classroom. Professor Umbranox seemed even more scary than usually, his pale features and the black rings under his eyes more visible than ever. Hoping that everything was fine with him, James eagerly awaited the beginning of the lesson.
Back to top Go down
Shah Chelsea Hazel
Admin
Admin
Shah Chelsea Hazel

My Character
Activity: Adult, Trainee Auror

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 8:40 am

Shah walked to the DADA class feeling excited. She was a 2nd year now, which meant more spells to learn....

and more homework....

As she entered the room, she noticed that only Aurora, James and Kim were present. She smiled and nodded at them before taking a seat at the back of the classroom. She played with her hair, not being able to sit still. Prof. Umbranox looked thinner and paler than last term. This made Shah wonder is something had happened to him during the vacation. When he caught her eyes, she smiled at him and looked away. She was not the only one who noticed his appearance; the others, too, were looking confused.
Back to top Go down
Ambrosius Umbranox
Adult
Ambrosius Umbranox

My Character
Activity: Adult, Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor, Head of Ravenclaw House

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 1:55 am

“Good afternoon, everyone.” Ambrosius greeted them with his usual calm voice. “I am glad to see that most of you are still here, and that you have chosen to take Defence Against the Dark Arts in your second year. I hope you have enjoyed yourselves during the summer holidays. However, as you have surely noticed, they are now over and I therefore expect nothing less than your full attention and hard work.” He marked a brief pause, his gaze going from face to face to make sure the message was clear.

Leaving his desk, he started wandering around the room, his hands behind his back, as he pursued: “As you may remember, last term we began learning about defensive spells, at least a few basic ones. Can anyone briefly remind me what charms and jinxes we talked about, and their use when dealing with the Dark Arts?" he asked, to make sure that the students hadn't forgotten everything, as it was sometimes the case after a long break.
Back to top Go down
Wade Malfoy
Admin
Admin
Wade Malfoy

My Character
Activity: Dark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 10:50 pm

Professor Umbranox began the lesson by asking them about the past term, making Wade frown a little. How was he supposed to remember that exactly?
In a matter of seconds, however, the incident with James and Wade's own uncontrollable spell came back to his mind. The boy raised his hand and said, "Didn't we practice the knock-back jinx? Which is used to repel an opponent?"
Back to top Go down
James Riddle
Adult
James Riddle

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 11:00 pm

James listened to Wade's response, and suddenly remembered another spell they had covered. "We also learned the Wand Lighting Charm and its variations." he added upon raising his hand. "The basic one is mostly used for practical reasons, although it can be helpful against ghostly foes. And Lumos Solem is effective against the Devil's Snare." he declared, recalling the terrible experience he went through during one of the practical tasks that involved this dangerous plant.
Back to top Go down
Ambrosius Umbranox
Adult
Ambrosius Umbranox

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 8:59 pm

"Very good, misters Malfoy and Riddle. I am glad to see at at least some of you still remember what we did until now. Since we have covered every aspect of the Knock-Back Jinx, I believe that we can move on to the next spell. If you do not have any questions, that is." He waited several seconds, but none of his students raised their hand. He pursued, though he noticed that they were all observing him with consistence. "As we have seen last time, the Knock-Back Jinx has a certain number of limits, which make it ineffective in some situations. Therefore, we are going to learn today two new defensive charms that may prove very useful for all of you in the future."

Approaching his desk, he took out his wand and swiftly flicked it. A piece of chalk flew out of his bag, levitated towards the blackboard, and then stopped at a few inches from the surface, hovering in mid-air, waiting for further instructions. Ambrosius faced his audience and announced: "The subject of today's lesson are the Full Body-Bind Curse and the Freezing Charm." While the students were pulling out their quills and parchments in order to take notes, one could hear the grating sound of the chalk writing on the board. "Since I did not have the possibility to give you any homework for this lesson, you may still be unacquainted with these spells. Unlike previous lessons, this one will therefore consist of two parts. First, we are going to talk about the theory concerning these charms and after that you will have the opportunity to practice them in groups as usually."

Ambrosius ceased his stroll between around the classroom and turned towards his audience. "We will start with Petrificus Totalus. Has anyone heard of this curse before or does anyone have an idea, however vague it may be, concerning its effects?" he asked, his gaze moving from student to student.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 3:13 pm

Aurora's hand shot up. She didn't want to appear like a know-it-all, but Petrificus Totalus was one of the spells she had most been looking forward to learning. At home, her father would always jokingly threaten her with it if she wriggled too much at the dinner table. Once she had read about it in her schoolbooks, she had been full of anticipation. Not learning the spell last year had dampened Aurora's spirits, but they rose again now. And Aurora didn't know whether the question was supposed to be hard or not, considering that Professor Umbranox had even mentioned the name of the spell during his lecture.

"Professor," she said clearly, "Petrificus Totalus is the Full Body-Bind Curse. It forces the recipient to stay in a locked position until they are freed." She lowered her hand shakily. A blotchy blush spread across her pale freckles. Whenever she volunteered in class, she always felt embarrassed and hot, though she didn't know why. Risking a tentative smile, Aurora attempted to make up for her awkwardness in front of the pale professor and her classmates.
Back to top Go down
Shah Chelsea Hazel
Admin
Admin
Shah Chelsea Hazel

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 4:00 pm

Shah was about to raise her hand, when Aurora raised her hand and gave her reply. Shah didn't know everything about this spell, but she knew a little, as she remembered something her mom was saying about this. She listened to Aurora and then glanced at Prof. Umbranox to see what he would say. She was really looking forward to the practical class. She'd wanted to learn this spell since forever.
Back to top Go down
Ambrosius Umbranox
Adult
Ambrosius Umbranox

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 7:59 pm

"Yes, that is exact." Ambrosius replied with an encouraging gaze after listening to his student. "Five points will be added to Ravenclaw for your answer." He then addressed the entire class. "The Full-Body Bind Curse, also known as the Body Freezing Curse, is indeed a spell that renders the victim completely immobile. The incantation is Petrificus Totalus and the wand movement required to perform the spell is, from left to right, a hook, then a horizontal line and finally a short vertical line downwards." he explained while showing the motion with his wand. Behind him, the blackboard was filling with information about the spell.

"More precisely, the body of one hit by this curse will become rigid, making them fall on the ground due to a lack of balance. However, they will not be unconscious, and the spell does not affect their breathing ability. Furthermore, the victim is completely aware of what is happening around them, being able to move their eyes, even if they cannot control any other part of their body. Therefore, the Full-Body Bind Curse is extremely useful in defence against dark forces, since if you succeed in hitting your foe with this spell, they will be unable to harm you in any way. Unlike the Leg-Locker Curse, which only blocks the victim's legs, it has the advantage of preventing a witch or wizard from using their wand, which is crucial when facing a dangerous opponent in battle. It goes without saying that the Body Freezing Charms is most effective on living foes, and it is mostly used when defending against witches or wizards. However, being more powerful than for example the Knock-Back Jinx, it is also more difficult to cast successfully, and requires a level of concentration that some of you might not achieve." Ambrosius explained.

He made a pause, listening to the scratch of quills on parchments as the students were writing down what he was saying. "Once someone is affected by the Body Freezing Curse, they cannot undo the effect of the spell by themselves whilst under it. However, there are several ways to "awaken" someone who has been subjected to this curse. Can anyone tell me more about these means?"
Back to top Go down
James Riddle
Adult
James Riddle

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 10:03 am

James rapidly wrote down everything the teacher was saying, and regularly glanced at the blackboard to make sure he hadn't missed anything. After thoroughly explaining how the Full Body-Bind Curse worked, Professor Umbranox asked them about the ways to undo its effects.

James didn't know much about Petrifucus Totalus, but he recalled reading something that could be helpful. As he wasn't certain it was correct, he discretely glanced around and waited for someone else to propose an answer. But after a few seconds of utter silence, he decided to give it a try. Raising his hand, he declared: "Professor, I think there is a spell that can be used as a general counter-curse, stopping any remaining spell effects. I don't remember its name, but perhaps it can also undo those of the Full Body-Bind Curse."
Back to top Go down
Ambrosius Umbranox
Adult
Ambrosius Umbranox

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 3:23 pm

"The spell you are referring to is Finite, and it is indeed useful as a counter-curse to Petrificus Totalus." he replied. "I see the Ravenclaws are in particularly good shape today. Five more points for that answer." he added.

"The first way to undo the effects of the Full-Body Bind Curse is the Reviving Spell, whose incantation is Rennervate. Contrary to what its name indicates, it is not used to bring the deceased back to life, since that is impossible, even in the wizarding world, however hard that may be to accept." he added with a shade of pain in his voice. "Its primary effect is to bring one back to consciousness after one has been afflicted by a Stunning Spell or a Full-Body Bind Curse. For those of you who are not familiar with it, the Stunning Spell is also a very useful weapon when defending against the Dark Arts, but as it requires a greater magical knowledge than you currently possess, you will only learn it in further years. Another way to undo the result of Petrificus Totalus is to perform Finite or Finite Incatatem, which stop all currently remaining spell effects that it targets. The only difference is that the second aims at an area rather than a specific object or individual. Later, when you will be practicing the Body-Bind Curse, you will use the Reviving Charm as a counter-curse, since it is the easiest to perform of the three." He paused for a moment, waiting to see if they had any questions.

"As you may have noticed, Petrificus comes from the Latin petra, which means stone. You can also find the same root in the word petrify: turn into stone. Even though the Full Body-Bind Curse may share some similarities with petrification, the two are fundamentally different. Does anyone know the distinction between them?" he asked, and then waited to see if one of his students had an idea.
Back to top Go down
Lucy Malfoy
Adult
Lucy Malfoy

My Character
Activity: Slytherin Alumni, Auror, Flying Professor

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 7:12 pm

Raising her hand and speaking softly, Lucy answered, "The Full Body-Bind Curse renders a victim completely immobile. It is mostly use to limit the victim's freedom of movement but it allows them to be conscious and aware at all times. Petrification, on the other hand, involves Dark Magic and it renders the victim comatose...and it can't be reversed by a simple counter curse, like the Full Body-Bind can."
She was satisfied with her answer, but mostly, she didn't want Ravenclaw to take all the points. She wanted to be a worthy opponent to the other houses. She wanted Slytherin to win again.
Back to top Go down
Ambrosius Umbranox
Adult
Ambrosius Umbranox

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 12:12 am

"Yes, these are the two main differences between the Full Body-Bind Curse and petrification. You have just earned five points for Slytherin, miss Malfoy. I am pleased to see that members of the other Houses are also willing to participate." Ambrosius replied once the girl had given her response.

"As you said, on one hand, petrification is very advanced Dark Magic and it cannot be countered by a simple spell, contrary to the Body Freezing Charm. On the other hand, when you have been petrified, you are completely unaware of what is happening around you, you slumber into some sort of deep coma until you are finally brought back to consciousness, whereas the Petrificus Totalus curse only results in the immobility of the victim's body. Another difference is that the effects of the Full Body-Bind spell are only temporary and will wear off after some time, even if no counter-curse is performed, whereas the ones resulting from petrification can last indefinitely, that is until the victim is administered a cure. The only known one is obtained from a magical plant called Mandrake or Mandragora, which, when matured, can be cut up to serve as a prime ingredient for the Mandrake Restorative Draught. a potion with the ability to awaken someone who has been petrified. I will not go into details now, as you will learn more about this fascinating plant in Herbology. Finally, there is also a major difference between the Full Body-Bind Curse and petrification in the way that they initially occur. Whereas the first is a rather elementary spell within the grasp of most wizards out witches, the second is Dark Magic of the most advanced kind. Although there are legends about dark wizards who were so powerful that they could literally turn others into stone, the only proven cause of petrification remains the gaze of the Basilisk, reflected in or seen through another object. As terrifying as this may sound, one of those snakes, also known as King of Serpents as they can reach gigantic sizes and live many hundreds of years, once dwelt in this very Castle."

He stopped for a moment, as several gasps could be heard throughout the classroom, from those who did not know the story. "To get to the beginning of this tale, we have to go back over a thousand years, to the time of the creation of the school. As you know, Hogwarts was founded in the Middle Ages by four of the most brilliant witches and wizards of the time : Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw and Salazar Slytherin, who gave their names to the different Houses you have been sorted into."
He started walking around the room, the students' gazes following him. "They all had their own opinion on who should be accepted to study at Hogwarts, and while three of them were able to co-exist quite harmoniously, one did not. Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective in the choice of students. He believed that only Pure-Bloods should be permitted to attend Hogwarts, as he considered that Muggle-Born children did not deserve to learn magic. Unable to convince the others of his elitist way of thinking, he left the school. However, before departing, he built a hidden chamber in the Castle, the Chamber of Secrets, and sealed it so that only his true heir would be able to reopen it. He or she alone will then have the ability to unleash and control the monster within the Chamber, and by doing so purge the school of all those who are, according to Slytherin's views, unworthy to study magic." He paused one more time, as a cold and tense atmosphere was descending upon the room.

"Of course, many searches were conducted to find the Chamber over time. None, however, were successful, and the Chamber of Secrets was dismissed as a mere legend by many. However, in 1942, a series of attacks on Muggle-Borns occurred, leading to the murder of one of them. Nevertheless, the supposed culprit was found, expelled and sent to Azkaban, the prison for wizards, even though the Chamber had still not been found. The case was considered closed, and for a long time there was no more talk of the mysterious chamber. Still, fifty years later, the attacks started again, along with messages that the Chamber of Secrets had been reopened. Luckily, this time, all the victims were merely petrified." He stopped, as many of the students were connecting this last piece of information with what he had told them earlier. "Yes, as you have certainly guessed, Slytherin's monster was a Basilisk, a beast whose gaze would instantly kill anyone who directly crossed it. However, this time, the victims only saw a reflection of the snake's eyes, hence being only petrified. After an escalating number of aggressions, the school was on the verge of being closed. However, just as everyone thought that all hope was gone, two wizards, in their second year at the time, found their way into the Chamber, defeated the Basilisk, and sent Slytherin's heir into oblivion, thus freeing the school from the threat of the Chamber of Secrets." Ambrosius glanced at the clock. Telling the story had taken him more time than he had planned.

"As much as I would love to tell you every detail about this fascinating tale, I am afraid we have to move on with our defence spells. Besides, I believe that the story of the Chamber of Secrets is on your History of Magic curriculum, and you will therefore have the opportunity to discover every possible aspect of it." He paused for a moment, waiting to see if his students had any question about what he had just told them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 1:05 pm

Aurora listened with eyes wide to Professor Umbranox's fascinating tale. Her fingers itched to pick up a pencil and take notes, but as she was reaching for her bag, the professor finished his story. Second years overcoming a basilisk! It must have been Harry Potter, Aurora reflected. No one else had done such incredible things. As she thought about the end of the recounting, a chilling thought ensnared her.

"Professor," she asked tremulously, raising a quivering hand, "you said that these students defeated the basilisk. Did they actually kill it? Or is it still alive, here in Hogwarts?" She lowered her hand shakily and waited for a response.
Back to top Go down
James Riddle
Adult
James Riddle

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 4:59 pm

James was carefully listening to every word Professor Umbranox was saying. He had already heard about the tale in the teacher's office when he visited him with Aurora, but he was didn't know all these details. As the professor finished telling the story, he felt somewhat disappointed, wanting to know more about it. Dozens of questions arose in his mind. Where was the Chamber? How did they find it? Who was the heir of Slytherin? He hesitated to raise his hand, since they had to get back to the Full-Body Bind Curse. I'll probably have the chance to ask them in History of Magic, James thought to himself as he remained still on his chair, awaiting for the lesson to continue.

Aurora however proved less hesitant, as she asked Professor Umbranox whether the monster of Slytherin was still alive. James awaited for the teacher's response, anxious at the thought that a giant snake could be roaming the castle.

Back to top Go down
Ambrosius Umbranox
Adult
Ambrosius Umbranox

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 7:25 pm

"Do not worry miss Finnigan, the basilisk, as well as the heir of Slytherin, who proved to be none other than the infamous Lord Voldemort, will not be menacing the school anymore. Harry Potter, one of the two students I mentioned earlier, is to thank for that. He slew the beast with the Sword of Godric Gryffindor, which lies as I speak in the Headmaster's office. And if you visit the Trophy Room, you can still admire the Medal for Magical Merit he and his friend Ronald Weasley were awarded for their heroic act." he explained, pleased to see the girl display such thirst for knowledge.

As there seemed to be no further questions, Ambrosius pursued his lesson: "Well, now that we have talked about the Full Body-Bind Curse's purpose, and that we have inspected the main differences between that spell and petrification, we can move on to inspecting its limitations. As you know, no spell is flawless. Petrifcus Totalus, however useful and powerful, does not constitute an exception to that rule. So can anyone identify its possible weaknesses?" he inquired, gazing across the classroom. "You will not find the answer in there" he added, catching a few students glance at their textbooks. "Try to think by yourselves. Just imagine yourselves in a duel, facing a fearless opponent who is just about to cast the curse."
Back to top Go down
Shah Chelsea Hazel
Admin
Admin
Shah Chelsea Hazel

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 1:59 pm

Shah raised her hand hesitantly. She wasn't sure, but she had to try. "I don't know for sure professor Umbranox, but Petrifcus Totalus is not affected by the Shield charm? Maybe?" She answered when she was called on.
Back to top Go down
Ambrosius Umbranox
Adult
Ambrosius Umbranox

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 11:36 pm

"Even if that were true, miss Hazel, it would represent an advantage of the Full Body-Bind Curse rather than a weakness, for your opponents would not be able to defend themselves against the spell by casting a Shield Charm. I was referring to flaws from the caster's perspective." Ambrosius explained, addressing the Gryffindor.

"And, in fact, like the Knock-Back Jinx and many other simple and moderate difficulty spells, Petrificus Totalus can be deflected by a Shield Charm, which represents one of its shortcomings. However, this weakness is not specific to the Full-Body Bind Curse." he added. "Any other suggestions?"
Back to top Go down
Elita Malfoy
Adult
Elita Malfoy

My Character
Activity: Divinations professor

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 4:53 am

Ellie who had been sitting quietly in the back, raised her hand. Once she was called upon she spoke up, "Can it be because the caster needs to be confident and have lots of concentration?" she inquired. She shrunk back into her desk, positive she was wrong and waited for the Professor to reply.
Back to top Go down
James Riddle
Adult
James Riddle

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 5:17 pm

From the beginning of the lesson, James had noticed something about the Full-Body Bind curse that might qualify as a limitation. However, he was in no way sure that it was correct, hence his long hesitation. For a moment, his shyness seemed to have overcome, but he then remembered that Ravenclaw was already trailing behind Gryffindor and Slytherin in the House Cup and that they desperately needed points.

Raising his hand very slowly, he waited for the professor to finish commenting the previous answer and then stated: "I think the fact that the incantation, Petrificus Totalus, is very long can be considered a weakness, since your opponent would know what spell you're performing before you even finish pronouncing it and they would have more than enough time to react." Suddenly thinking of something else, he added: "And perhaps size is a factor as well in the effectiveness of the spell, like with the Knock-Back jinx."
Back to top Go down
Ambrosius Umbranox
Adult
Ambrosius Umbranox

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 9:14 pm

Ambrosius listened to the answers of two other students, glad that his pupils were participating so actively. "You are right" he said, first addressing the Slytherin, "one of the counterparts of this spell's usefulness resides in the fact that it requires greater confidence and focus than those we have learned thus far. Five points for Slytherin."

He then turned towards James Riddle. "The efficiency of the Full-Body Bind Curse does indeed depend on the size of your opponent. For instance, it is nearly impossible to use it successfully on giants. Furthermore, having quick reflexes and reacting rapidly is very important in duelling. Thus, the length of a spell's incantation can play a major role. The longer it is, the more time your opponent has to attempt to counter or evade your charm, and it also reveals them which curse you are about to use before you even finish casting it. Interesting comment, mister Riddle. I award ten points to Ravenclaw.'

"However, there is a way to overcome that specific weakness, even if you still do not have sufficient magical knowledge to exploit it yet. Can anyone guess what I am referring to?"
Back to top Go down
Shah Chelsea Hazel
Admin
Admin
Shah Chelsea Hazel

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 1:51 pm

Shah excitedly raised her hand. She knew the answer for this and she wasn't going to let the Claws and Snakes earn all the points. "You are referring to non-verbal spells, Professor." She grinned wide. She loved these types of spells. "While using non-verbal spells you don't even have to say the spell out, so nobody will know which spell you are going to use. But, I heard that non-verbals spells require a lot of concentration. Is that true professor?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)   Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II) Empty

Back to top Go down

Lesson One - The Full Body-Bind Curse (Year II)
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next