Live the Magic!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
The Admins
Fast Links
Current time
SPRING
Year: 2034
Term: 13
Month: March

Term 13 until TBA
House Points
Chat Box
Vote For Us
Affiliates
Photobucket Shadowplay HOS The Beginning Magical World of Harry Potter THE GIRL IS DANGEROUS Hogwarts Academy

Click here to affiliate!
Latest topics
» Chances (Ariel)
Homework One (Year I) EmptySat May 28, 2016 11:34 pm by Ariel Wilde

» HUGE REALLY VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE - PLEASE READ
Homework One (Year I) EmptySat May 21, 2016 11:40 pm by Hunter VanDerberg

» Sunny Afternoon (Open to Anyone)
Homework One (Year I) EmptyFri May 20, 2016 6:58 am by Marielle Prince

» An Unfortunate Accident (Open)
Homework One (Year I) EmptyMon May 16, 2016 2:41 am by Marielle Prince

» Marielle Aveline Prince
Homework One (Year I) EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:57 pm by Sky

» Claim a Face
Homework One (Year I) EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:08 am by Marielle Prince

» AFFILIATE HERE
Homework One (Year I) EmptyMon May 09, 2016 2:42 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» My charries need something fot their life (a plots)
Homework One (Year I) EmptyWed May 04, 2016 8:10 am by Jessica Kim

» The Gif Game 2.0
Homework One (Year I) EmptyTue May 03, 2016 7:39 am by Humphrey Williams

» A Dying Trade (one of JETTS characters)
Homework One (Year I) EmptyMon May 02, 2016 12:25 am by Augustus Beckett

» Wild Child [Ariadne]
Homework One (Year I) EmptySun May 01, 2016 6:01 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» History Of Magic Application
Homework One (Year I) EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» Semi - Activity Check!
Homework One (Year I) EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 11:56 am by Hunter VanDerberg

» EVELYN'S "DRAWINGS"
Homework One (Year I) EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 10:30 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» I Won't Say I'm In Love (closed-one shot)
Homework One (Year I) EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 5:18 pm by Miranda Cunningham

Homework One (Year I)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ambrosius Umbranox
Adult
Ambrosius Umbranox

My Character
::
Activity: Adult, Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor, Head of Ravenclaw House

Homework One (Year I) Empty
PostSubject: Homework One (Year I)   Homework One (Year I) EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 10:14 pm

Defence Against the Dark Arts Homework One (Year I)

After finishing your homework, please send it to me by personal message before the indicated deadline. I will review and grade it, and I will then post what you wrote in this thread. At the beginning of our next lesson, we will correct what you had to do and I will award House Points depending on how seriously you have done your homework.

Your homework is the following: write two or more paragraphs about the Wand Lighting Charm's use in defense against dark creatures, the different variations of this spell and their effects. Each paragraph should have at least five sentences, although you can write more if you wish.

Lesson Two will begin on March 5th (tomorrow), but you have until March 8th to send your homework. As I know that not all of you have time to do this due to other responsibilities, there will be no sanction for those who haven't done their homework.

Please note that students who haven't attended Lesson One because they registered late are also supposed to complete this assignment.
Back to top Go down
Ambrosius Umbranox
Adult
Ambrosius Umbranox

My Character
Activity: Adult, Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor, Head of Ravenclaw House

PostSubject: Re: Homework One (Year I)   Homework One (Year I) EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 4:54 pm

Aylee Walters
Ravenclaw
1st Year

The wand-lighting charm, Lumos, is a very useful spell used to make a small light at the tip of your wand. Its counter-charm is Nox which extinguishes the light. It has many different variations such as Lumos Duo, which causes a light connection between the caster’s wand and the object, and Lumos Solem, which creates a very bright beam of light. Another variation is Lumos Maxima which creates a massive ball of light.
The wand-lighting charm has many uses against Dark Creatures. It can sometimes be used against Ghouls and Ghosts. It can also be used against Gytrashes, spectral dogs that are sensitive to light, and Hinkypunks, which are destroyed by the Lumos Duo spell and the Flipendo spell. Another use is against the Devil’s Snare, a plant which likes the dark and damp.

Graded

You have been awarded 13 Points for your homework. Keep up with the good work.

Leah Baker
Ravenclaw
1st Year

The wand-lighting charm is one of the most simple spells there are, and one of the easiest to learn and teach. It has the power to reflect malevolent spirits and gythrashes. The color of the light should be a light yellow. This is if it has been charged well enough. Charging would include a witch or wizard by wavinng their wand in circles before preforming the actual spell, increasing the power of the spell. However, if over-charged the charm would appear a scarlet color.

As mentioned earlier, the lumos charm wards gythrashes off. This creature is a spectral dog that you can see only at night. They are very sensitive to light so the lumos can ward them off ealsily. Gytrashes can be found on the grounds of Hogwarts, of course at night. There are also variations of the wand-lighting spell, such as Lumos Duo, Lumos Solem, and Lumos Maxima. This spell comes in handy when you come in contact with a gytrash or just need to find a lost item under your bed.

Graded

You have been awarded 11 Points for your homework. You could have just insisted a bit on what differentiates Lumos Maxima and Lumos Solem from the basic version of the Wand Lighting Charm, and the fact that Lumos Solem could be used against the Devil's Snare. Keep up with the good work.
Back to top Go down
Ambrosius Umbranox
Adult
Ambrosius Umbranox

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Homework One (Year I)   Homework One (Year I) EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 12:39 am

Aurelia Rosier
First Year
Slytherin

Wand Lighting Charm

The Wand Lighting Charm is a charm which creates light illuminating from the tip of the caster’s wand, and can also radiate heat. The incantation for the charm is “Lumos”, which is derived from the Latin word lumen, meaning “light”. If used correctly, it will manifest itself as a lemon-yellow light; however, if the caster were to over-charge it, the charm will appear as a vibrant scarlet. Despite being one of the simplest spells, it is also one of the most useful; not only does it illuminate the caster’s wand tip, but it can also repel foes such as Gytrashes and malevolent spirits. Gytrashes are spectral dogs which only appear at night; fast and dangerous, they can easily be found lurking in the grounds of Hogwarts at night. However, the spell “Lumos” is particularly effective at warding it off, as the creature is sensitive to light. Another Dark creature that is sensitive to this light are the dreaded Dementors, a non-being and Dark creature, considered one of the foulest to inhabit the world. They feed off of human happiness, and thus, cause despair and depression to anyone within its vicinity. The spell “Lumos” can be employed to create light, even when the Dementors’ presence cancels out the light from surrounding streetlamps, and even the stars.

The spell Lumos also has three variations: Lumos Maxima, Lumos Duo and Lumos Solem. Lumos Maxima is a stronger version of Lumos, which creates a massive ball of light at the end of the wand so powerful that it can continue on for several minutes after being cast, floating in mid-air. The incantation is derived from two words: the Latin lumen meaing “light” and maxima meaning “greatest”. Lumos Duo creates a light connection between the caster’s wand and an object, causing an extra-intense beam of light to emit from the wand. The third variation, Lumos Solem, is a spell that produces a beam of light on the warmer solar end of the spectrum, and is used to conjure sunlight. This spell is particularly effective against the Devil’s Snare, which prefers a dark and damp environment, and consequently, will stop its movement in front of bright light and will retreat.

Graded

You have been awarded 15 Points for your homework. Your assignment was very detailed and well written. Please just try to send it before the deadline next time. Keep up with the good work.
Back to top Go down
Ambrosius Umbranox
Adult
Ambrosius Umbranox

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Homework One (Year I)   Homework One (Year I) EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 12:49 am

Auden Mayer
Ravenclaw
First Year

Lumos is a wand-lighting charm. It is used to illuminate the tip of the wand. Lumos is one of the most basic spells taught. After the charm is said correctly, warm light will come out of the wand. The charm was invented in the 18th century. The charm is very useful in practical situations. It can enable you to read in the dark, look for something, act as a guide, and many other great uses. Another use of this charm is that is repels spectral creatures like the Gytrashes and other spirits. You can use this charm to blind or distract a foe.

Graded

You have been awarded 9 Points for your homework. Your assignment could have been a little longer, and you have forgotten to mention the different variations on the Wand Lighting Charm and their uses. Other than that, your work was satisfactory.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homework One (Year I)   Homework One (Year I) Empty

Back to top Go down

Homework One (Year I)
Page 1 of 1