Live the Magic!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
The Admins
Fast Links
Current time
SPRING
Year: 2034
Term: 13
Month: March

Term 13 until TBA
House Points
Chat Box
Vote For Us
Affiliates
Photobucket Shadowplay HOS The Beginning Magical World of Harry Potter THE GIRL IS DANGEROUS Hogwarts Academy

Click here to affiliate!
Latest topics
» Chances (Ariel)
(H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptySat May 28, 2016 11:34 pm by Ariel Wilde

» HUGE REALLY VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE - PLEASE READ
(H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptySat May 21, 2016 11:40 pm by Hunter VanDerberg

» Sunny Afternoon (Open to Anyone)
(H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyFri May 20, 2016 6:58 am by Marielle Prince

» An Unfortunate Accident (Open)
(H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyMon May 16, 2016 2:41 am by Marielle Prince

» Marielle Aveline Prince
(H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:57 pm by Sky

» Claim a Face
(H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:08 am by Marielle Prince

» AFFILIATE HERE
(H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyMon May 09, 2016 2:42 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» My charries need something fot their life (a plots)
(H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyWed May 04, 2016 8:10 am by Jessica Kim

» The Gif Game 2.0
(H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyTue May 03, 2016 7:39 am by Humphrey Williams

» A Dying Trade (one of JETTS characters)
(H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyMon May 02, 2016 12:25 am by Augustus Beckett

» Wild Child [Ariadne]
(H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptySun May 01, 2016 6:01 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» History Of Magic Application
(H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» Semi - Activity Check!
(H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 11:56 am by Hunter VanDerberg

» EVELYN'S "DRAWINGS"
(H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 10:30 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» I Won't Say I'm In Love (closed-one shot)
(H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 5:18 pm by Miranda Cunningham

(H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

(H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 Empty
PostSubject: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 1:04 am

Austin took a deep breath as all the students filled in the class. It was his first day as a professor and he was excited yet nervous to teach potions.

The potions classroom was dark until Austin lit a fire to warm the cold dungeon and light the room. He could tell this room has not been warm in months.

Alas, the students filled in. "Welcome to your first potions class. "I am professor Austin Baxt."

The students' faces startled him, not knowing if they would like or hate this class. "In this class, I will teach you what potions are and by the end of this year, you will find yourself knowing how to make your own potion. I do not expect you all to be flawless in this class, but I do expect a select few to achieve higher expectations." he examined the students' faces.

"In this class, the rules are simple. Talk when you or the class are asked a question and don't when I speak. You don't test my patience, I won't have to be such a strict teacher. Every question answered satisfactory will earn house points and any talking as I speak and you will lose points.

I know that your previous professor, James Wayne, was.. well he was a horrible man." he told the class straight up with a little chuckle. "If you are curious, he fled the school after threatening to harm other professors. I am not like him."

"To start, tell me your definition of a potion?" he looked around the class, waiting for someone to call out.

Last edited by Austin Baxt on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Wade Malfoy
Admin
Admin
Wade Malfoy

My Character
::
Activity: Dark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 1:35 am

Wade's heartbeat increased as he approached the Potions classroom. A part of him was waiting to see Wayne sitting at the other side of the desk, although the students had already been informed that Wayne was long gone. As he walked in, he couldn't help but gasp as the warmth of the room reached him. The only time he'd been here was during his first year, and the room had always been terribly cold. Glancing around the room, he noticed the source of such warmth; a fire had been lit. Wade's dark eyebrow raised itself as he eyed the Professor. He was so different from Wayne. He didn't give the same wicked, dark vibe as his old Potions Professor did, and Wade liked that about this one.

The boy gave him a quick smile before taking a seat near the back of the class, as far from the Professor as he could get. Although he seemed different, Wade wasn't going to take any chances. Waiting patiently for the rest of the students to walk in, he began to play with the ring on his finger. It was a silver band with a small snake wrapping itself around it. It used to be his father's, and it was about the only thing he had of him.

When Professor Baxt began to speak, Wade tried to pay attention. Not flawless? I can do that...Don't speak while you speak? I can manage that...don't test your patience? Well, I can try...Wayne a jerk? No, absolutely not. Wade had to hold a smile back as Professor Baxt called Wayne a jerk.
When he asked for the students to give their own definition of Potion, Wade raised his hand and waited for permission to speak. He didn't really feel like getting in trouble in his first day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 1:38 am

Austin saw a boy's hand shot up. "When I ask a general question to the class, anyone may speak without raising your hand, unless I ask someone a direct question." he informed the class. "Yes, Mr." he looked down at his paper that had names and pictures of students, "Mr. Malfoy?" he looked up.
Back to top Go down
Wade Malfoy
Admin
Admin
Wade Malfoy

My Character

PostSubject: Re: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 1:45 am

Wade couldn't help but feel somewhat dumb for acting that way, but it was a habit he'd developed while under Wayne's strict teaching.
Lowering his hand and nodding at the mention of his name, he said, "Well, a potion is a magic mixture, obviously in liquid form, that is brewed and aims to have different effects on the drinker. An example would be Amortentia, which is the most powerful love potion and causes an intense infatuation on the drinker."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 1:52 am

((God how much I miss being strict!))

"Very good, 10 points to slytherin. You brought up amortentia, a very strong love potion not to be messed with." he added. "Surronding the room are various potions and ingredients in their form and as second years, you will learn handling ingredient. Let's begin.

Your ingredients are what make your potions possible. It is essential, therefore, that you have a thorough understanding of the different techniques for handling your ingredients. The first thing in ingredients, is storage. It is obvious that all of the ingredients in this room can be easily and readily obtained. This means that most ingredients are not extremely dangerous to store and can be found in any basic potions kit. Depending on their state, most ingredients can be stored in simple glass bottles or boxes, as you can see." he gestered to the brown boxes with labels of potion ingredients such as Fluxweed and Wormwood. "Many ingredients are somewhat perishable, so it is important to follow any instructions given by the apothecary regarding expiration date, storage temperature, and recommended containers, which is all what you will learn in this year. The storage instructions will be most important with perishable ingredients, though it is obviously important to keep the non-perishable items safe and sound as well. It should be noted that though ingredient storage can be left to the potioneer’s discretion, contamination can and will occur if ingredients are not stored according to the specific instructions given for a particular ingredient. What is important for our purposes, however, is acquiring the ingredients and keeping them in a useable state. There is a charm know by potioneers to protect ingredients from contamination. Does anyone know what it is? Although I doubt it." he addresed the class.
Back to top Go down
Wade Malfoy
Admin
Admin
Wade Malfoy

My Character

PostSubject: Re: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 2:14 am

Wade thought about the next question, but was unable to answer it, or to come to something that could be passed for a reasonable answer. Leaving that to some Ravenclaw, he sat back in his chair a little and tried to figure the Professor out.
Back to top Go down
Shah Chelsea Hazel
Admin
Admin
Shah Chelsea Hazel

My Character
Activity: Adult, Trainee Auror

PostSubject: Re: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 3:13 pm

Shah walked as slow as possible to the Dungeons. There was a new teacher for Potions, so she'd heard. But she couldn't guarantee that he was like or not like Wayne. And she didn't care. She hated the subject, but she was going to take the subject, because she'd promised to her brother Zoran and she wasn't the kind of person who broke promises.

She walked into the class and noticed that Wade was there, and already some activity had taken place. She was so relieved to see Wade in class. And she was also really glad that Wayne had run away.

Coward....

"Hi Wade." She grinned at him and took a seat beside him. As to the question the teacher had asked, she didn't know the answer. So, she stayed quiet and took out her text book and stuffed her wand into her tote bag, as she knew she wouldn't be needing it for this subject.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 4:15 pm

Aurora liked the new Potions professor. He seemed to expect nothing more than what they were capable of, which was good, though Aurora had occasionally appreciated Wayne's forcible way of making her think. The room was warm, lit by a crackling fire near the back corner. Aurora took a seat next to it and took out her small cauldron.

She raised her hand when Professor Baxt asked for the definition of a potion, but Wade got there first. Slightly disappointed, Aurora waited for the next question. She didn't know the answer, however. A spell to protect ingredients? Perhaps some wort of drying spell, with a bit of protection added. But since she didn't want to lose points either, she stayed silent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 5:52 pm

Austin looked down at his parchment, "Ms. Finnigan, you seem to have something to say. Give it a go, just try." he encouraged her.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 6:44 pm

Aurora started. She raised her hand, probably unecessarily, since she had been called on specifically. "Would it have something to do with keeping the ingredients in their natural state? Like drying leaves and flowers, but keeping other ingredients moist?"

She felt really stupid. Her answer had not really been an answer at all. She had basically just repeated what Professor Baxt had asked. She shrank down in her seat, wishing she had an invisibility cloak.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 6:53 pm

"Something like that, but you're thinking too into the ingredients, think outside of it.. a charm to block off contamination. It's nonverbal, the hard part is concentrating on it and we will learn much about it in the coming week." Austin said, almost directly to Aurora. "You protect the ingredient by going around it. Most of you know nothing about muggles." he shrugged it off. "The past summer, I spent my time in a muggle chemistry lab and observed their ways of research, chemistry being much like potions without all the magic. What they have is a cabinet, that is locked and when it's locked, it keeps the beakers, or phials, clean and purifies them. There is a similar charm invented centuries ago but I found a way to improve it." he paused and chuckled. "Tell me, what would I get if I added a powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood? Anyone call out." he said.
Back to top Go down
James Riddle
Adult
James Riddle

My Character
Activity: Adult

PostSubject: Re: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 7:37 pm

James hurriedly entered the Potions Dungeon, afraid that he would be late for his first lesson. He found the room to be surprisingly warm, at least in comparison to the cold atmosphere that always reigned during Professor Wayne's class. The previous Potions Master never counted among his favourite professors, and it was safe to assume that most of his classmates shared that opinion. However, unlike some of them, he never hated the man, and even appreciated his subject, as he had always been meticulous and precise, virtues essential to any accomplished potioneer. "Hi everyone" James whispered while taking a seat beside Aurora.

After reassuring them that he was nothing like his predecessor, Professor Baxt started by asking them questions about potions in general and the proper way to store ingredients. Wade got the first one right, but the second one proved more problematic for the students. James had never heard about such a spell, so he waited for someone else to reply, and gave an encouraging smile to Aurora when she was called on by the teacher.

"Tell me, what would I get if I added a powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood? Anyone call out." the teacher inquired upon commenting on Aurora's intervention. James immediately realized that he knew this one, as Professor Wayne had asked them the exact same question in their first year, leading to Aurora standing up to him for unjustly taking points from them. Although they had been told they didn't have to, he instinctively raised his hand and waited for the professor to notice him. "I think that the result would be the Draught of Living Death, a powerful potion that makes the drinker fall into a profound sleep." he said, wondering if he should add anything else.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:26 pm

"Your previous professor would say that to be incorrect, such fool." he muttered, "Correct Mr. Riddle. Now, back to the charm. The charm is a powerful one that blocks out any type of magical infection that can be inflicted on the ingredient. They don't work on all of them though. One example is that, wormwood in any essence, and asphodel. For classwork, I would like to see the following," he turned around and wrote on the blackboard.

Short list on potions that you are familiar with and what they do.

"Once you are done, kindly give it to me and turn to page 4 of your textbook and begin the potion. You will find all ingredients in the cupboards."

OOC: You will be performing the simple potion known as the Wiggenweld Potion Below is the excerpt from the textbook:

This is my own recipe and I worked really hard for an hour on making the excerpt from the textbook, please do not use it for any other reasons without my approval since this is totally my work.

(H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 2ugnhq10
Back to top Go down
Wade Malfoy
Admin
Admin
Wade Malfoy

My Character

PostSubject: Re: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 2:53 am

Wade had listened carefully to everything that had been said in the classroom, and as soon as he got the instructions for the assigned classwork, he began. Taking out a quill and a piece of parchment, he wrote down a list of the potions he was already familiar with.

Wade Malfoy
Slytherin
2nd Year

1. Forgetfulness Potion-causes memory loss
2. Amortentia-causes intense infatuation or obsession
3. Draught of the Living Dead-causes the drinker to fall into death-like sleep
4. Felix Felicis-increases chances of luck for the drinker
5. Polyjuice Potion-changes the physical appearance of the drinker

Glancing at his work, he considered taking the Draught out, but given that Wayne had already sort of taught them that one, he decided to keep it. Satisfied with work, he walked up to the Professor's desk and placed the parchment on top of it quietly. As he walked away, he grabbed the textbook out of his backpack and opened it, turning to page four curiously.
He wasn't sure if Wayne had already attempted to teach this one, but he was glad that he had another chance to learn it again with Professor Baxt.

Flobberworm mucus? Ew, gross. He thought, remembering Professor Vega's first lesson last year. She'd taught them about the slimy creatures, but he wasn't very fond of them now that he was supposed to work with their mucus. Reading over the rest of the ingredients, he decided to take his textbook to the cupboards so that he could get all of them and not mess up.

Once he had all of them, Wade carefully placed them on top of his book and carried them back to his desk. He took out his cauldron and added the necessary amount of water then, thinking of something, he asked Professor Baxt: "Professor? This is probably a dumb question, but do we turn on the heat now? The textbook says to heat it on medium for 20 seconds, but it's the last step."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 2:56 am

"Then do it last." he told him without looking up as he read Wade's paper and marking a grade with his muggle red pen.
Back to top Go down
Wade Malfoy
Admin
Admin
Wade Malfoy

My Character

PostSubject: Re: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 3:28 am

Wade's eyebrow raised as the Professor answered his question. "Hm." he said quietly and began to add the ingredients. As he added the Salamander Blood, he frowned a little, but stirred as instructed. The mixture began turning a little pink, but the textbook said it should be turning red. Looking in to the cauldron, he stirred a little more until it finally reached a light shade of red. Not sure whether it should be a deep red or not, he added the next ingredient. Taking the Flobberworm mucus, he frowned even more than with Salamander blood. He had to talk to Professor Vega sometime and congratulate her on her ability to work with such disgusting things. Little by little, the mixture in the cauldron began turning lime green. Again, he wasn't very sure what shade of green it was supposed to be, so he added the next ingredient.

He added the Billywig's slime and stirred five times, but, again, the shade of blue was light and it seemed a little...too watery. Still, he decided to move on to the next ingredient. Reading over the fifth step, he took a mortar out and added a pint of horklump juice and the green mint and mashed it until it was the fine powder described in the textbook. Adding the powder to the mixture in the cauldron, he watched it turn a deep shade of red. It wasn't a blood-red color, but it was too red that it was actually almost black. Confused, he read over the steps again.
But, I've done it all like the book says. He thought as he glanced back at the contents of his cauldron. He made a little note on his textbook, next to the sixth step, to remember where it was that he had probably messed up.

Potion turned way too red.

He added the Wolfsbane root and stirred twice as directed, and turned the heat on medium and left the potion heating for 20 seconds. The mixture hadn't changed colors, but Wade was still pretty sure he had messed up somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Lucy Malfoy
Adult
Lucy Malfoy

My Character
Activity: Slytherin Alumni, Auror, Flying Professor

PostSubject: Re: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 4:09 am

Lucy had been quiet the whole time, observing the interaction between Professor Baxt and the other students. She liked seeing Wade's effort to be better this year, and she couldn't help smiling as she watched him answer and interact in the class. As aurora then spoke, she payed attention and wrote down what she thought was necessary. Her grey eyes then glanced toward James as he showed his intelligent side once again; her lips curled into a shy smile again.

As she followed the Professor's instructions, she began her list.

Lucy Malfoy
Slytherin
2nd Year

• Polyjuice Potion-This famous potion allows the drinker to change his or her physical appearance.
  • Forgetfulness Potion-This potion causes memory loss, although it is said to have very tragic effects if done wrong.
  • Draught of the Living Dead-This draught causes the drinker to fall into deep, death-like sleep.
  • Felix Felicis-This potion increases the drinker's luck.
  • Amortentia-Most powerful love potion which causes intense infatuation or obsession on the drinker.

All these, she knew only because of Phoenix. Quietly, she placed her parchment on the Professor's desk and walked towards Wade. She took her textbook out and read over the ingredients, memorizing each and every one of them. Finally, she walked towards the cupboards and gathered what she needed and brought them back to her spot. Taking her cauldron and placing it in front of her, she filled it with water. Then, she added the needed ingredients, watching it turn colors as the book said. Once it was time to turn the heat on, she did so very, very carefully and left the potion in the heat for only 20 seconds, exactly.
Satisfied with her work, she waited to see if Professor Baxt would check it or just grade it at the end of the lesson.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 2:57 pm

Aurora hastily began scrawling on her parchment.

Aurora Finnigan
Second Year
Ravenclaw
Potions

1) Polyjuice Potion - Changes the drinker's appearance to that of another
2) Forgetfulness Potion - Causes the drinker to forget; amount of stolen memory epending on strength of draught
3) Swelling Solution - Swells whatever it touches: do not drink!
4) Draught of Living Death - Causes the drinker to fall into a deep sleep, even death if potion is strong enough
5) Amortentia - Very powerful love potion; smells like whatever a person most loves
6) Chilling Potion - Freezes and chills the drinker
7) Cure for Boils - A very simple potion that cures boils and warts

Aurora stepped over to the potions cupboard. She rifled through the ingredients, taking out what she needed and carefully placing the things she didn't need back in their places. Wrinkling her nose at some of the stenches rising from the ingredients, she toted her load back to her desk. Flobberworm Mucus? Salamander blood? Slime? Aurora wished the ingredients weren't so gross, but she could live with it.

Carefully, she poured some water into her pewter cauldron, just enough to brush the halfway line. She felt OCD as she dumped out about a milligram that had gone over, but she didn't want to make even the slightest mistake. Glaring at her cauldron, she was satisfied with the amount of water in it and moved onto the next step. She uncorked the small bottle of salamander blood, which was smoking slightly. The heat surprised her, and she almost dropped the flask, but she held on firmly. She tipped it over her measuring cup and poured out a pint. Aurora put the bottle down and picked the cup up. Tilting it over her cauldron, she poured it in, noting the hissing sound that was made when the steaming blood came into contact with the water. She began stirring counter-clockwise so the blood could stir in. The potion began gradually darkening until it was a deep red, lighter than the original salamander blood on account of the water. Aurora peered into her cauldron happily. So far, so good.

As she sat back down, her elbow brushed the flask that was still sitting open on her desk. It spilled, then fell onto the ground with a crash. Aurora froze, a squeak halfway out of her lips.
Back to top Go down
James Riddle
Adult
James Riddle

My Character

PostSubject: Re: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 8:36 pm

James's felt a rush of pride as he got the answer right, yet it quickly made way for disappointment when Professor Baxt continued the lesson without giving Ravenclaw any points. Letting it go, he grabbed his quill and concentrated on the task they were given. After trying to recall every potion they had learned so far and those he had read about in his textbook, he wrote on a piece of parchment:

James Riddle
Ravenclaw
Second Year

• Forgetfulness Potion: makes the drinker lose some of his memories
  • Draught of Living Death: makes the drinker fall into a profound sleep
  • Draught of Sanare: releives the drinker from pain
  • Wiggenweld Potion: cures minor injuries and can serve as an antidote to the Draught of Living Death
  • Wolfsbane Potion: used to control werewolves during their transformation
  • Amortientia: the most powerful love potion, causes an intense infatuation on the drinker
  • Mandrake Restorative Draught: restores those who have been petrified to their original state

As he couldn't think of any other brew, he gave in his assignment to Professor Baxt and then headed towards the ingredients cupboard. After making sure he had collected everything he required, he walked back to his desk and prepared to brew the Wiggenweld potion. His ingredients on one side of his cauldron, Magical Drafts and Potions on the other, he was finally ready to begin.

As the textbook indicated, he filled his cauldron exactly halfway. Then, he carefully took the small elongated bottle containing Salamander Blood and meticulously poured a pint of the liquid into the water. He watched the fluid slowly spread through the mixture, which progressively took an uneven reddish tone, and then turned his attention back to the instructions. Utterly concentrated on the next step, as it required the utmost precision and perfect timing, he took his ladle and stirred exactly three times counter clockwise. When he finished, he noticed the concoction had adopted a somewhat darker colour. Just to make sure he hadn't done anything wrong, James glanced to his left, and noted with relief that Aurora's potion had the exact same appearance.

According to the book, he was now supposed to extract mucus of a flobberworm and add it to the solution. Fortunately, he already had Flobberworm Mucus at his disposal, sparing him the unpleasant task of having to extract it himself. Just as he was reaching for the phial, a loud shattering sound broke the utter silence of the classroom. Startled, he turned to his left and saw pieces of smashed glass at Aurora's feet, in a puddle of dark fuming liquid. "Let me help" James calmly whispered to her, taking out his wand from his pocket. "Reparo" he uttered, pointing it at the fragments. It took a few seconds for the flask to get back to its original state. Pleased with the result, he put it back on the desk. "There's a rag there." he said, showing the side counter behind Aurora. "We can use it to clean the Salamander Blood."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 11:13 pm

Austin barely moved as the glass smashed the floor, and merely looked up. "Clean it." he said as James went to help. Standing up, Austin strolled over to the cauldrons. "Wade, a little too red, too much salamander blood and next time," he said, observing the characteristics of the fluid, "Stir it completely." he kept walking. "Excellent, Lucy! 10 points to slytherin!" he looked at James, "Alright, get back to your potion.. Great, Aurora, but be careful on the amount of flobberworm mucus you use. 5 points to ravenclaw." he turned around and headed back to his desk, "Continue your potion and we will get on to the next lesson, if you are done come sit at your desk and wait." he sat down and spoke to Lucy, "Lucy, extract a phial of your potion, I'd like to keep it for my storage."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 6:00 pm

"Thanks," Aurora whispered, embarrassed. She hurriedly wiped the last of the blood off the floor and returned to her potion, though not after sneaking a grateful glance toward James.

She nodded silently at Professor Baxt's instructions and began pouring the flobberworm mucus in very slowly. When the potion had begun to bubble and hiss, Aurora paused and watched as the liquid in her cauldron turned brownish, then lightened until it was a brilliant shade of emerald green. Breathing a sigh of relief, Aurora turned to the next instructions. The billywig sting's slime proved surprisingly easy to extract, and Aurora quickly poured it in. She almost began stirring counter-clockwise on reflex, but caught herself in tim and stirred one...two...three...four...five times clockwise. The blue of the potion seemed to fluctuate between a deep turquoise and and lighter shade of navy, but the change wasn't very different, so Aurora assumed that it was correct.

Turning to her mortar and pestle, Aurora poured in the horklump juice and the green mint. She sighed happily when she smelled the mint. It reminded her of her mother's garden. The thought made her sad and slightly homesick, but she determinedly picked up her pestle and ground the mixture until it was a fine, flaky substance. Just for good measure, she ground it twice more. Critically, she examined it and then dumped it into her cauldron. Instantly, the potion resumed a red color, though brighter and more clear than the previous. Aurora picked up the sprig of wolfsbane next and dropped it into her cauldron. It dissolved slowly, but Aurora hurried the process by stirring the potion twice counter-clockwise as directed. She pulled her stirring rod out and turned the burner on, though not by magic. Aurora was still a bit too wary of fire magic to use it in a classroom. Once the level hit medium, Aurora stopped the flow and held it steady for the twenty necessary seconds. Then she turned the burner off and smiled at her potion. It wasn't quite as good as Lucy's, she thought, but she was happy with it. It wasn't like she was planning to be a potioneer or anything.
Back to top Go down
James Riddle
Adult
James Riddle

My Character

PostSubject: Re: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 8:34 pm

After making sure that Aurora was fine, James went back to his brew. Glancing at the cauldron, he noticed that the mixture was now more of a burgundy than a dark red colour. Timing is everything in potion-making, he reminded himself, realizing that the few minutes he spent helping his friend had cost him more than he would think. There was nothing we could do now, except hope that this wouldn't greatly affect the final result.

Picking up the bottle containing Flobberworm Mucus, he slowly tilted it above the caudron until the thick liquid began flowing. The mixture rapidly turned brown, after which he poured the fluid drop by drop until obtaining a beautiful shade of green. Adding a Billywig sting was next on the list. After hesitating for a moment, he found a rounded violet bottle whose label indicated it stored the ingredient he needed. Dropping one of the stings into the concoction, he stirred exactly five times clockwise. The potion progressively adopted a blue tone.

While the mixture was happily bubbling, James grabbed his pestle and forcefully crushed the green mint, reducing it to a fine powder, and then poured the content of the mortar into his cauldron. Two more, he remarked after a quick glance at his textbook. He waited a couple of seconds for the powder to dissolve, turning the potion red again. He then added the wolfsbane root, and watched it quickly disappear upon hitting the surface of the liquid with a loud plop. After stirring two more times, he turned the heater to medium and fixed his watch. After precisely twenty seconds, he turned it off and sighed, relieved he had finally completed his task. Pouring some of his potion into a phial, he headed for the professor's desk and waited for the teacher to notice his presence.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 12:24 am

Austin looked up. "Yes, Mr. Riddle?" he noticed his phial, "I do not require it, but okay." he took it and examined it. "This brew is use-able, at least. Great, thank you, that'll be for my storage." he smiled and went back to his work, reading their classwork assignment.
Back to top Go down
James Riddle
Adult
James Riddle

My Character

PostSubject: Re: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 7:22 pm

"Oh, I'm sorry. I just thought..." James started, slightly embarrassed. Professor Baxt however accepted his phial, even giving him a smile, before turning his attention back to his parchments. Regaining his seat, James wondered whether the lesson was over or if the teacher had planned something else.
Back to top Go down
Lucy Malfoy
Adult
Lucy Malfoy

My Character
Activity: Slytherin Alumni, Auror, Flying Professor

PostSubject: Re: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 6:59 pm

Lucy's small hands managed to find a phial at the bottom of her backpack and she filled it with her potion. The liquid felt warm as it filled the phial, it was a strange yet satisfying feeling; she had done a good job, according to Professor Baxt. A she was about to walk over to the Professor to give him her phial, her eyes caught sight of James as he walked up to him first, holding a phial in his hand.

Confused, Lucy stopped. Then upon realizing what had happened, she walked up to the Professor again and placed the small glass tube on his desk, giving him a smile as she walked away.
"You did a great job, James." she said with a smile as she walked by the boy's desk and continued to her seat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1   (H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1 Empty

Back to top Go down

(H) Potions Class Y2 Lesson 1
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next