Live the Magic!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
The Admins
Fast Links
Current time
SPRING
Year: 2034
Term: 13
Month: March

Term 13 until TBA
House Points
Chat Box
Vote For Us
Affiliates
Photobucket Shadowplay HOS The Beginning Magical World of Harry Potter THE GIRL IS DANGEROUS Hogwarts Academy

Click here to affiliate!
Latest topics
» Chances (Ariel)
Years 1-2 Homework EmptySat May 28, 2016 11:34 pm by Ariel Wilde

» HUGE REALLY VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE - PLEASE READ
Years 1-2 Homework EmptySat May 21, 2016 11:40 pm by Hunter VanDerberg

» Sunny Afternoon (Open to Anyone)
Years 1-2 Homework EmptyFri May 20, 2016 6:58 am by Marielle Prince

» An Unfortunate Accident (Open)
Years 1-2 Homework EmptyMon May 16, 2016 2:41 am by Marielle Prince

» Marielle Aveline Prince
Years 1-2 Homework EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:57 pm by Sky

» Claim a Face
Years 1-2 Homework EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:08 am by Marielle Prince

» AFFILIATE HERE
Years 1-2 Homework EmptyMon May 09, 2016 2:42 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» My charries need something fot their life (a plots)
Years 1-2 Homework EmptyWed May 04, 2016 8:10 am by Jessica Kim

» The Gif Game 2.0
Years 1-2 Homework EmptyTue May 03, 2016 7:39 am by Humphrey Williams

» A Dying Trade (one of JETTS characters)
Years 1-2 Homework EmptyMon May 02, 2016 12:25 am by Augustus Beckett

» Wild Child [Ariadne]
Years 1-2 Homework EmptySun May 01, 2016 6:01 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» History Of Magic Application
Years 1-2 Homework EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» Semi - Activity Check!
Years 1-2 Homework EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 11:56 am by Hunter VanDerberg

» EVELYN'S "DRAWINGS"
Years 1-2 Homework EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 10:30 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» I Won't Say I'm In Love (closed-one shot)
Years 1-2 Homework EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 5:18 pm by Miranda Cunningham

Years 1-2 Homework

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Selene Greco
Adult
Selene Greco

My Character
::
Activity: Adult, Care of Magical Creatures Professor, History of Magic Professor, Head of Slytherin House

Years 1-2 Homework Empty
PostSubject: Years 1-2 Homework   Years 1-2 Homework EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 12:34 am

For this lesson's homework, please use the following format.

Name
House
Date

Here, you will write a short essay, about a paragraph or so in length, and will describe where Mermaids live, how they generally look, and one myth you already know.

Homework will be due on November 7th, and once you post it here I will edit the points you earned.
Back to top Go down
Selene Greco
Adult
Selene Greco

My Character
Activity: Adult, Care of Magical Creatures Professor, History of Magic Professor, Head of Slytherin House

Years 1-2 Homework Empty
PostSubject: Re: Years 1-2 Homework   Years 1-2 Homework EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 9:11 pm

Kynan Walters wrote:
Kynan Walters
Gryffindor
4/11/2013

My sister told me that real mermaids aren't the kind of mermaids you find in 'The Little Mermaid' or other Muggle tales. For the sake of it, I looked them up and I was horrified by the appearance of them. But I've got one fact right- Mermaids live underwater. A sub-species of mermaids, Selkies, live in the Black Lake. Other types of mermaids are spread across the world.

The appearance of a mermaid is different, according to the sub-species. For example, Selkies have ugly grey skin, wild green hair and scary yellow eyes while Sirens are beautiful. It is said that those that live in warm waters are beautiful while those who live in cold waters are ugly.

I don't exactly know myths about merpeople. I know a bit about sirens. Apparently, they sit on dangerous rocks to lure sailors in with their beautiful-ness and voices. And then, when she sailors get nearer, they crash into the rocks and shipwreck.

POINTS EARNED: 15
ACCEPTABLE

Hunter VanDerberg wrote:
OOC: I just joined recently and missed out on the class part. Is it okay for me to still submit the homework?

Name: Hunter VanDerberg
House: Gryffindor
Date: November 6, 2013

Merpeople are creatures that have the upper-body of a human and the lower body of a fish. They live underwater in various locations across the world, though they are able to breathe above water for a short time. While above water, their language (mermish) sounds like an ear-piercing wail, but underwater is mush less harsh.

Their average height and color can vary, but they are typically about seven feet and commonly have coloration abnormal to humans (such as green hair or yellow eyes.) The first merpeople originated in Greece and were known as Sirens. Presently, merpeople inhabiting warmer water have a more attractive appearance than those inhabiting cold waters.

Merpeople live in communities much like humans, and have been known to domesticate aquatic creatures such as they Gryndylow. While they are an intelligent species, they, like the centaurs, denied being status when it was offered to them, choosing instead to remain categorized as beasts.

POINTS EARNED: 25
OUTSTANDING

Back to top Go down

Years 1-2 Homework Empty
PostSubject: Re: Years 1-2 Homework   Years 1-2 Homework EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 5:28 am

Name: Ryder Anderson
House: Slytherin
Date: November 7, 2013

Merpeople are human-like beasts that live in underwater colonies across the world. The Merpeople look to be a hybrid between a human and a sea-creature, with the torso of a human connected to a long fin-like tail. They are highly intelligent, and have developed their own language, though while above water it sounds more like screeching than words. They have also been known to raise a variety of sea-creatures such as the Grindylow and the Hippocampus for domestic purposes.

There are several sub-species of merpeople that appear to be dependent on location. The Selkies, located in Scotland waters, and the Merrows of Ireland are incredibly similar. This is likely a result of the cold water that they inhabit They tend to have a harsh, unattractive appearance. Their coloring can vary, but is typically abnormal in comparison to humans; for example, a Selkie may have grayish skin or green hair. Unlike the Selkies and Merrows, the warm-water merpeople known as Sirens are legendary for their beauty. It is said that they would sit on rocks and lure sailors to their death. These merpeople are more similar to the mermaid one might read about in stories or fairy tales.

While merpeople are intelligent, and have created music, language and organized underground societies, they are not considered a being, but a beast. The merpeople were offered being status by wizards, but like the Centaurs, chose collectively as a race to deny the title. While not at war with wizards by any means, the relationship between merpeople and wizards is rough.
Back to top Go down

Years 1-2 Homework Empty
PostSubject: Care of Magical Creatures, Year 1, Homework   Years 1-2 Homework EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 3:21 pm

Name: Alyssa McLennen
House: Slytherin
Date: 11-7-2013

Merpeople are an sapient, or human-like, beast species that has the appearance of a human-fish hybrid (though under no circumstances are they to be considered half-breeds). The first merpeople originated in Greece and were known as sirens. Due to their warm-water climate, Sirens are naturally beautiful. At the present they can be found in various locations around the world, and also in various subspecies. Some known subspecies and their locations are the Selkies of Scotland and the Merrows of Ireland. These subspecies live in cold-water climates, and as a result have a much less attractive appearance often consisting of abnormal coloration such as green hair or yellow eyes.

Merpeople have had a rough relationship with wizards throughout the duration of their existence. In the 1600s, Chief Elfrida Clagg would not grant the merpeople "being" status because they didn't comply with her criteria that beings should be able to "speak the language." Although Merpeople are intelligent and have created their own language, Mermish, Clagg excluded it because it can only be understood while underwater (above water, it sounds like screeching.)

In 1811, under Minister Stump, Merpeople were allowed "being" status. Soon after, the Merpeople (along with their allies, the Centaurs) denied "being" status due to their objection to the fact that dark creatures such as hags and vampires were also considered "beings." Both the Merpeople and the Centaurs objected to sharing status with such evil creatures, and have had a continuously strenuous relationship with wizards ever since.

While little is known about the Merpeople and their ways, we are able to assume, from what we do know, that they function very similarly to humans in everyday life. Merpeople are known to live in organized underwater communities similar to our towns, some containing very sophisticated dwellings. They are also known to domesticate aquatic animals such as the Hippocampus, Grindylow and Lobalug (which is used as a weapon.) They also spend time creating jewlery, weapons and art sculptures.
Back to top Go down
Evan Williams

Evan Williams

My Character
Activity: Ravenclaw Dropout

Years 1-2 Homework Empty
PostSubject: Re: Years 1-2 Homework   Years 1-2 Homework EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 4:09 pm

((( OOC: I have a permission to post it later due to my absence. )))

Name: Evam Williams
House: Ravenclaw
Date: November 9th

Merpeople are half-human underwater species. Looking at different merpeople pictures I noticed that their representation varies greatly. I'm not sure if it is the result of artists' interpretation, incredibly fast evolutionary process, or just the fact that there are different types of merpeople.

As for myths, I only remember Greek character Odysseus who managed to listen to sweet sirens' singing and survive. Although those sirens looked completely different from what merpeople look (they had feathers, for example), some merpeople are called sirens. I found this really strange.

Most muggles are familiar with merpeople because of the "Little Mermaid" cartoon by Disney studios. This one is good, I have to admit.

Drawing:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Years 1-2 Homework Empty
PostSubject: Re: Years 1-2 Homework   Years 1-2 Homework Empty

Back to top Go down

Years 1-2 Homework
Page 1 of 1