Live the Magic!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
The Admins
Fast Links
Current time
SPRING
Year: 2034
Term: 13
Month: March

Term 13 until TBA
House Points
Chat Box
Vote For Us
Affiliates
Photobucket Shadowplay HOS The Beginning Magical World of Harry Potter THE GIRL IS DANGEROUS Hogwarts Academy

Click here to affiliate!
Latest topics
» Chances (Ariel)
Suggestion about Time Period? EmptySat May 28, 2016 11:34 pm by Ariel Wilde

» HUGE REALLY VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE - PLEASE READ
Suggestion about Time Period? EmptySat May 21, 2016 11:40 pm by Hunter VanDerberg

» Sunny Afternoon (Open to Anyone)
Suggestion about Time Period? EmptyFri May 20, 2016 6:58 am by Marielle Prince

» An Unfortunate Accident (Open)
Suggestion about Time Period? EmptyMon May 16, 2016 2:41 am by Marielle Prince

» Marielle Aveline Prince
Suggestion about Time Period? EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:57 pm by Sky

» Claim a Face
Suggestion about Time Period? EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:08 am by Marielle Prince

» AFFILIATE HERE
Suggestion about Time Period? EmptyMon May 09, 2016 2:42 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» My charries need something fot their life (a plots)
Suggestion about Time Period? EmptyWed May 04, 2016 8:10 am by Jessica Kim

» The Gif Game 2.0
Suggestion about Time Period? EmptyTue May 03, 2016 7:39 am by Humphrey Williams

» A Dying Trade (one of JETTS characters)
Suggestion about Time Period? EmptyMon May 02, 2016 12:25 am by Augustus Beckett

» Wild Child [Ariadne]
Suggestion about Time Period? EmptySun May 01, 2016 6:01 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» History Of Magic Application
Suggestion about Time Period? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» Semi - Activity Check!
Suggestion about Time Period? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 11:56 am by Hunter VanDerberg

» EVELYN'S "DRAWINGS"
Suggestion about Time Period? EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 10:30 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» I Won't Say I'm In Love (closed-one shot)
Suggestion about Time Period? EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 5:18 pm by Miranda Cunningham

Suggestion about Time Period?

Go down 
5 posters

Do you agree with this suggestion?
Yes!
Suggestion about Time Period? Empty74%Suggestion about Time Period? Empty
 74% [ 14 ]
Nope.
Suggestion about Time Period? Empty21%Suggestion about Time Period? Empty
 21% [ 4 ]
Don't care, really.
Suggestion about Time Period? Empty5%Suggestion about Time Period? Empty
 5% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 19

AuthorMessage

Suggestion about Time Period? Empty
PostSubject: Suggestion about Time Period?   Suggestion about Time Period? EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 9:20 am

I was wondering if maybe there should be a rule or at least general idea of what year we're roleplaying in. I understand this is post-books, but how far in the future? It's kind of difficult to make a character when you don't exactly know what year we're shooting at. For example, the character I want to play is Victoire and Ted's daughter, which would be set in the future from now. Are we going with the year it is right now? The future? 1998? Etc.

Or should we just decide the year in our own profiles and kind of leave it up in the air for the roleplay?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion about Time Period?   Suggestion about Time Period? EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 9:40 am

I agree as well. It kind of confuses me. For example, Daisee is the granddaughter of Dudley Dursley (2 generations after Voldy's defeat), but other characters who are descendants of canon characters are all over the place- like the child of a character from the Golden Trio's Era, which means there wouldn't be enough time for Dudley's kid to grow up, marry, and have an 11-year-old daughter if that was the case.

Yet if this was only 1 generation off, then wouldn't a lot of canon characters be at Hogwarts with us right now, such as Scorpius, James Sirius, Albus Severus, Rose, and etc? But the rules state no one can play canon characters, which makes it confusing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion about Time Period?   Suggestion about Time Period? EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Well, I'm the daughter of a canon character, which I'm sure confuses some people, but I mentioned in a roleplay that Seamus Finnigan had his kids much later than Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

There is no certain generation off, nor is there a certain year we roleplay in. The way I've found works best is to simply put the month and day of birth in the character application, and not the year.
Back to top Go down
Jeremy Rufford

Jeremy Rufford

My Character
::
Activity: Adult, Minister for Magic

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion about Time Period?   Suggestion about Time Period? EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 7:08 pm

Oh

All this time when I made my character, I was assuming it's 2012. Well, now that I figure out this site doesn't have that, then of course it should. There's no doubt about it and a poll's vote will be unanimously yes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion about Time Period?   Suggestion about Time Period? EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 7:09 pm

Whoever voted no obviouisly doesn't know about roleplaying
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion about Time Period?   Suggestion about Time Period? EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 8:09 pm

Jace/Jeremy/James - Would you please stop insulting people. I voted no because I feel that it would throw the balance off between the characters who are only one generation behind and those who are two or three. We have functioned thus far without a set time period - why do we need one now?

On another note, I am a capable roleplayer, and I resent being called otherwise. If you have opinions to share about other's opinions, then could you keep them to yourself? Thank you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion about Time Period?   Suggestion about Time Period? EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 1:40 am

I personally feel that if we did set a time period, people's characters could be reworked a tad to make sense, if they wanted to. I just felt that as a newcomer trying to make a character, having no real idea of a time period other that post-books makes it kind of difficult.

The same goes for current member families. For example, wanting to create a character that has a lineage to canon characters, but then someone else on the forums is also related. Thankfully, I was able to rework my character to fall into place with others here so it all makes sense. ^-^
Back to top Go down
Kim Frey
Admin
Admin
Kim Frey

My Character
Activity: Slytherin - Year 3, Radio Worker

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion about Time Period?   Suggestion about Time Period? EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 4:57 am

Well, as said in the plot, it has been many years after the war made by Voldemort. And I also think that in our situation right now, Harry's kids are already adults, let's say 20-30 years old? You guys do the math.

On Aurora's situation, she did mention about the late doings of Seamus Finnigan. Maybe you can say that you are the youngest of your family, if you made your character with siblings? I think that is the only way, if this suggestion will be approved, that we can fit your character in the time period.
Back to top Go down
http://thedrunktrain.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion about Time Period?   Suggestion about Time Period? EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 8:52 am

Maybe we shouldn't have a set year, but still have a general feel of the time period. For example, instead of saying it's exactly 2012 (or whatever), say what Kim said- Harry's children are around 20-30 years old and do the math. That way, Aurora's character could still work, as well as everyone else's. That way, we don't have to box ourselves into a certain "era" for those who want to be creative (which is what RPing is all about), yet there's still a boundary for those who are confused.

But maybe it should be in the General Guide book so there's a reference for newbies to the site to go to.
Back to top Go down
Aurelia Rosier
Adult
Aurelia Rosier

My Character
Activity: Slytherin - Year 2, Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop Worker

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion about Time Period?   Suggestion about Time Period? EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 9:04 am

I agree with you, Daisee. Smile
I think a general time period would be helpful for all roleplayers, but also allow a certain leeway, so there aren't excessive constraints on character development, etc. And it certainly wouldn't interfere with any characters that have currently been established.

Otherwise, great suggestion, Cosette! I guess we'll just have to see what Kim or other members of the administrative team think about this issue. ^^
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion about Time Period?   Suggestion about Time Period? EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 11:37 am

Yes, I agree; I think a general time period would be good. Sorry, I didn't read the full first post! *bangs head* And Aurora does have siblings, but I really don't have any idea who they are, they were just randomly made for my application.

I do still believe that a specific year would not be the best idea, but a time period would smooth things up concerning character ages and whatnot.
Back to top Go down
Kim Frey
Admin
Admin
Kim Frey

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion about Time Period?   Suggestion about Time Period? EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 2:10 pm

So, in conclusion, is everyone okay about not having any specific year, just an estimated 'era'?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion about Time Period?   Suggestion about Time Period? EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 2:11 pm

Doewnt the poll say yes?
Back to top Go down
Kim Frey
Admin
Admin
Kim Frey

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion about Time Period?   Suggestion about Time Period? EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 2:17 pm

The other three users didn't.
Back to top Go down
Shah Chelsea Hazel
Admin
Admin
Shah Chelsea Hazel

My Character
Activity: Adult, Trainee Auror

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion about Time Period?   Suggestion about Time Period? EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 2:18 pm

I second Daisee. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion about Time Period?   Suggestion about Time Period? EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 11:30 pm

But the majority rule wins.
Back to top Go down
James Riddle
Adult
James Riddle

My Character
Activity: Adult

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion about Time Period?   Suggestion about Time Period? EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 10:26 pm

As Kim said, I always imagined it to be set a few decades after the Second Wizarding War and Voldemort's demise, which would set the story around 2030 (for those who need a specific year), perhaps a bit later. Harry's children have already finished Hogwarts, but those who were born later could still be in their student years, such as Aurora.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion about Time Period?   Suggestion about Time Period? Empty

Back to top Go down

Suggestion about Time Period?
Page 1 of 1