Live the Magic!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
The Admins
Fast Links
Current time
SPRING
Year: 2034
Term: 13
Month: March

Term 13 until TBA
House Points
Chat Box
Vote For Us
Affiliates
Photobucket Shadowplay HOS The Beginning Magical World of Harry Potter THE GIRL IS DANGEROUS Hogwarts Academy

Click here to affiliate!
Latest topics
» Chances (Ariel)
LESSON I HOMEWORK EmptySat May 28, 2016 11:34 pm by Ariel Wilde

» HUGE REALLY VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE - PLEASE READ
LESSON I HOMEWORK EmptySat May 21, 2016 11:40 pm by Hunter VanDerberg

» Sunny Afternoon (Open to Anyone)
LESSON I HOMEWORK EmptyFri May 20, 2016 6:58 am by Marielle Prince

» An Unfortunate Accident (Open)
LESSON I HOMEWORK EmptyMon May 16, 2016 2:41 am by Marielle Prince

» Marielle Aveline Prince
LESSON I HOMEWORK EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:57 pm by Sky

» Claim a Face
LESSON I HOMEWORK EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:08 am by Marielle Prince

» AFFILIATE HERE
LESSON I HOMEWORK EmptyMon May 09, 2016 2:42 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» My charries need something fot their life (a plots)
LESSON I HOMEWORK EmptyWed May 04, 2016 8:10 am by Jessica Kim

» The Gif Game 2.0
LESSON I HOMEWORK EmptyTue May 03, 2016 7:39 am by Humphrey Williams

» A Dying Trade (one of JETTS characters)
LESSON I HOMEWORK EmptyMon May 02, 2016 12:25 am by Augustus Beckett

» Wild Child [Ariadne]
LESSON I HOMEWORK EmptySun May 01, 2016 6:01 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» History Of Magic Application
LESSON I HOMEWORK EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» Semi - Activity Check!
LESSON I HOMEWORK EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 11:56 am by Hunter VanDerberg

» EVELYN'S "DRAWINGS"
LESSON I HOMEWORK EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 10:30 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» I Won't Say I'm In Love (closed-one shot)
LESSON I HOMEWORK EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 5:18 pm by Miranda Cunningham

LESSON I HOMEWORK

Go down 
+2
Wade Malfoy
Selene Greco
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Selene Greco
Adult
Selene Greco

My Character
::
Activity: Adult, Care of Magical Creatures Professor, History of Magic Professor, Head of Slytherin House

LESSON I HOMEWORK Empty
PostSubject: LESSON I HOMEWORK   LESSON I HOMEWORK EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 1:52 am

Hello everyone!

As you know, teachers nowadays are enforcing the PM Rule. I, however, slightly frown upon such a rule. First of, I don't like my inbox to be full of messages that I will delete sooner or later, so in order to turn in your homework, you will simply post it here. I TRUST THAT YOU WILL NOT CHEAT. If I catch the slightest hint of cheating, you will sit in my office and we will discuss your homework. Anyway, here is your first homework.

Write a three-inch essay about any of these famous Centaurs (in Greek Mythology). Research a legend or myth about any of them, and simply write about them. I need to be able to recognize that you actually know the material you are writing about, so please, when you research it, do a good job.

List of optional Centaurs:
Chiron
Eurytion
Pholus
Nessus

THIS HOMEWORK IS DUE BY SEPTEMBER 10TH, WHICH IS WHEN THE SECOND LESSON WILL START.
Back to top Go down

LESSON I HOMEWORK Empty
PostSubject: Re: LESSON I HOMEWORK   LESSON I HOMEWORK EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 2:30 am

Keith Parker
Gryffindor
First Year

Chiron

Similar to satyrs, which are a troop of half-man, half-goat male companions of Pan and Dionysus, centaurs were notorious for being wild and lusty, overly indulgent drinkers and carousers, given to violence when intoxicated, and generally uncultured delinquents. Chiron, by contrast, was intelligent, civilzed and kind, but he was not related directly to other centaurs. Chiron was more commonly known for his knowledge and skill with medicine. He was sired by Cronus when he had taken the form of a horse and impregnated the nymph Philya, according to an archaic myth. He frequented Mount Pelion; where he then married the nymph Chariclo, later giving him three daughters, Hippe (or Melanippe), Endeis, and Ocyrhoe, and one son named Carystus. Chiron was a deeply respected oracle, along with being a great healer and astrologer. He was said to be the first of all centaurs and highly revered as a teacher and tutor.

Chiron's father was a Greek god Kronus (Saturn) and his mother was a beautiful nymph named Philyra. Krnous was a cruel and devouring father god - and he met the nymph Philyra during one of his many searches for his (then) baby son, Zeus. Upon seeing Philyra, Kronus managed to get sidetracked - instantly falling for the nymph. The only problem was that the nymph, Philyra, did not share in his lusty desires. So Philyra turned herself into a mare in the attempt to flee the unwelcome desirous advances of Kronus. But Kronus, likewise, transformed himself into a stallion and thus was able to consummate his overwhelming desire for Philyra. Satisfied, Kronus left, never to return. Philyra, upon seeing her newborn son, Chiron, is so disgusted and appalled that she rejects and abandons her child. Later in his life, Chiron was adopted by the Greek sun god, Apollo. Perhaps I should mention here that time and chronology in Greek Mythology is often a wee bit, well, unusual - since Kronus was Apollo's grandfather and Chiron's father. So Apollo was actually Chiron's nephew. Upon becoming Chiron's foster parent, Apollo, the god of music, prophecy, poetry and healing, taught Chiron all that he knew.

As a result, Chiron later in life, became a powerful mentor to the sons of kings and many of the most famous Greek heroes, including Jason, Asclepius, Achilles and Hercules. Speaking of Hercules, Hercules plays a starring role in the continuing saga of Chiron becoming a wounded healer. Good old Hercules always seemed to be at odds with the centaurs. During a skirmish with a rowdy bunch of centaurs - Hercules carelessly, accidentally wounded his friend and mentor, Chiron, in the knee with one of his arrows. The arrows Hercules had chosen to use on this particular day were arrows coated with the blood of the monster Hydra. Arrows coated with the blood of the Hydra were known to cause painful wounds that would never heal. And being an immortal, Chiron having a wound that would never heal was a way serious problem, Chiron would never be able to heal from the wound caused by Hercules, and being immortal he could never die.

And so after a long passing of time, with no relief, the wound caused Chiron much severe pain, Hercules, being the one responsible for his wound, worked out a deal. The Titan god Prometheus had been chained to a rock by Zeus, the chief Olympian god. Being chained to the rock was to be his punishment for having previous stolen fire from Olympia as a gift to mortals. Each day, Zeus' eagle would come and eat Prometheus' liver. Each night, the liver would heal itself. Then the eagle would come again for his liver snacks. As stipulated by Zeus - Prometheus could only be released if, and when, an immortal offered to go to Tartarus and take his place. Going to Tartarus would mean the immortal was giving up his status as an immortal and would die. Chiron, being the son of Kronus and half-brother of Zeus, agreed to take the place of Prometheus, and then eventually died. Upon his death, he was then released from his wound that would never heal. Chiron was then honoured with the constellation of Centaurus.

Your Homework has been graded, you have been sent a Private Message with my comments and points given.
Thank you.
Professor Vega
Back to top Go down
Selene Greco
Adult
Selene Greco

My Character
Activity: Adult, Care of Magical Creatures Professor, History of Magic Professor, Head of Slytherin House

LESSON I HOMEWORK Empty
PostSubject: Re: LESSON I HOMEWORK   LESSON I HOMEWORK EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 9:25 pm

OOC: Guys, I will be gone for the next two weeks. THAT DOES NOT MEAN I DON'T WANT YOUR HOMEWORK. When I get back I will check it, and please, do it. It's not that hard. Also, if yours is longer than required, I will award extra points. :OOC
Back to top Go down
Wade Malfoy
Admin
Admin
Wade Malfoy

My Character
Activity: Dark Wizard

LESSON I HOMEWORK Empty
PostSubject: Re: LESSON I HOMEWORK   LESSON I HOMEWORK EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 2:30 am

Wade Malfoy
Care of Magical Creatures
Slytherin

Nessus

Nessus, son of Centauros, was a centaur who fought in the Lapith War but later fled toward the Euenos River, where he became a ferryman. In Greek Mythology, Nessus was known for his role in The Tunic of Nessus, which is a legend that says that after carrying Heracles’ wife across a river, Nessus attempted to kidnap her. Heracles saw him and shot a poisoned arrow at the centaur’s breast, and as the centaur lay dying, he told the woman that his blood would make Heracles be forever faithful to her, which she believed foolishly. Once, when she began to have doubts about her husband’s fidelity, she rubbed the centaur’s blood on Heracles’ shirt and gave it to him. When she accidentally spilled some of the blood, it began to fume at the touch of sunlight. She recognized it as poison and sent a message to warn Heracles, but he was already dying slowly and painfully as the shirt burned his skin.

OOC: I know I could've done better, but I didn't want to write about Chiron since he's pretty famous. I wanted something easy, something that I could do really quick. Sorry if it's too short Professor.

Your Homework has been graded, you have been sent a Private Message with my comments and points given.
Thank you.
Professor Vega
Back to top Go down
Shah Chelsea Hazel
Admin
Admin
Shah Chelsea Hazel

My Character
Activity: Adult, Trainee Auror

LESSON I HOMEWORK Empty
PostSubject: Re: LESSON I HOMEWORK   LESSON I HOMEWORK EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 5:36 am

Shah Chelsea Hazel
Gryffindor
First Year

Pholus

Pholus, considered a wise and gentle Centaur, guards the centaurs' vineyards (and their wine). Pholus was mortally wounded by an unexpected coincidence, being punctured by a poised arrow he was removing from Chiron. As the story goes, Heracles was visiting Pholus in his cave on Mt. Pelion. After coercing Pholus to open a sacred vessel of wine he was keeping for the other Centaurs, the rest of the Centaurs became angry and arrived to Pholus' cave. Heracles accidently hits Chiron with a poisoned arrow while shooting at the angry Centaurs. When Pholus finds Chiron dead from a mere arrow, he removes one of the arrows form a Centaur to see what made the Centaur die, and accidently allows its poisoned tip to puncture himself, which also kills Pholus.

In this light alone, it might be worth watching tendencies to help others that may be wounded or in dire trouble, but at the cost of unexpectedly and severely hurting self, even mortally.

//OOC: I know it's short... but I really did a lot of research on this. I hope I've done well Prof. Vega.//

Thank you.
Professor Vega
Back to top Go down
Kim Frey
Admin
Admin
Kim Frey

My Character
Activity: Slytherin - Year 3, Radio Worker

LESSON I HOMEWORK Empty
PostSubject: Re: LESSON I HOMEWORK   LESSON I HOMEWORK EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 12:37 pm

Eurytion or Eurytus was one of the Centaurs from Arcadia involved in disrupting and fighting the Lapiths, at the wedding of Peirithous and Hippodameia. There were fighting for the land in Thessaly, particularly in the valley of the Peneius River.

An uneasy peace between the Lapiths and Centaurs existed before this wedding. The Centaurs shared the same ancestors with the Lapiths. According to Diodorus Siculus, Lapithus and Centaurus were brothers. But according to other sources, it was Peirithous who was half-brother of the Centaurs, and Ixion, king of the Lapiths were their father.

Being kins, Peirithous invited the Centaurs to the weddings. Peirithous had invited several other prominent figures, guests such Theseus, Peirithous' best friend; Peleus and young Nestor.

According to Ovid, it was the Centaur Eurytion who started disrupted wedding; he led other drunken Centaurs to abduct Hippodameia, the Lapith king's bride and other Lapith women. Fighting ensued. Theseus, Peleus and Nestor aided the king, and Caeneus, a Lapith chieftain, killed many Centaurs, before the Centaurs killed Caeneus. Eventually, the Lapiths drove out the Centaurs from the city and out of their kingdom. Many fled to Arcadia, including Eurytion. The Nessus fled to Aetolia.

Losing this battle resulted in the Centaurs being forced out of their home on Mount Pelion. Later Eurytion forced King Dexamenus to agree to give his daughter Mnesimache to be his wife. When he came to collect her Heracles, who was the kings guest killed him.

Thank you.
Professor Vega
Back to top Go down
http://thedrunktrain.blogspot.com
James Riddle
Adult
James Riddle

My Character
Activity: Adult

LESSON I HOMEWORK Empty
PostSubject: Re: LESSON I HOMEWORK   LESSON I HOMEWORK EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 8:01 pm

James Riddle
Ravenclaw
First Year

Care of Magical Creatures Homework: Nessus

Alongside Chiron, Eurytion and Pholus, Nessus (also known as Nessos) is one of the most famous centaurs to appear in Greek Mythology. Just like with the other three, his tragic story is closely linked with the demigod Heracles (Hercules), who interestingly intervenes in the legends of every single of these fantastical creatures.

Even though there are several stories about the origins of centaurs (among which Nessus), they are often believed to be the descendants of Centauros, who is said to be born from the union of a human king, Ixion, and Nephele, a cloud that Zeus, the father of gods, had shaped to look like his wife, Hera. Nessus spent his early life in Thessaly with some of his brethren, until they were all driven away from that Greek province. Indeed, the first important moment in Nessus's story happened during the feast organized for the wedding of Perithous, a Lapith king, and Hippodameia, a myth often known as the Centauromachy. The Centaurs were invited to the celebrations, but unused to wine they became intoxicated and started wreaking havoc. Presented with the bride, the Centaur Eurytion gave in to his desire and attempted to possess her. A brutal battle ensued between the creatures and the Lapiths, that the humans finally won with the help of the famous Athenian hero Theseus, and expelled the Centaurs out of Thessaly.

After fleeing his homeland, Nessus made his way to the Aitolian river Euenos and established himself as ferryman, helping people to cross the water in exchange for a small sum of money. He even claimed to have been appointed there by the gods as a reward for his personality. One day, Heracles, passing by that place with his wife, wanted to reach the other bank of the river. The famous mythical hero was able to cross by himself, but Deianeira needed to be assisted by the centaur, who carried her on her back. However, becoming inflamed with desire for the young woman, Nessus tried to take advantage of the situation. Witnessing the scene, Heracles shot an arrow dipped into the poison of the Lernaean Hydra (that he had defeated earlier) at the centaur, hitting him right in the chest. In his final breath, seeking revenge against his murderer, Nessus persuaded Deianeira to take his blood-soaked tunic, telling her that she should present it to her husband if she ever suspects him of being unfaithful and that it will bring him back to her.

Years later, when Deianeira hears rumors about Heracles's adventures with other women, she remembers the centaur's words and offers him the poisoned tunic, which tears his skin and eventually leads to his death, making Nessus responsible for the demise of one of the most celebrated heroes of Greek mythology.

Thank you.
Professor Vega
Back to top Go down
Aurelia Rosier
Adult
Aurelia Rosier

My Character
Activity: Slytherin - Year 2, Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop Worker

LESSON I HOMEWORK Empty
PostSubject: Re: LESSON I HOMEWORK   LESSON I HOMEWORK EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 5:31 am

Aurelia Rosier
Slytherin
First Year

Nessus

Nessus was the grandson of King Ixion who ruled parts of Thessaly in the 14th Century BC. Ixion had married Dia, a princess from Thrace, but neglected to pay the bride price to her father, King Eioneus. Eioneus took Ixion's mares as a security in lieu of payment; when invited by Ixion to collect payment, he was instead murdered, in what was the first known murder recorded in Ancient Greece. As it was the murder of his father-in-law, Ixion could not find anyone to purify him of the foul deed. Dia, however, was seduced by Zeus and eventually gave birth to Ixion's heir, Peirithous. She convinced Zeus to purify Ixion, but once Ixion learned that Zeus had seduced his wife, he demanded Zeus's wife, Hera, as added compensation to what he considered an insult. Zeus returned Ixion to Earth and told him that Hera would be sent to him later. Ixion, however, was visited by Nephele, the cloud-goddess, who bore him a deformed, horse-like son named Centaurus. For offending the gods, Ixion was chained to a flailing wheel in the underworld as punishment.

Peirithous ended up living with the Lapith tribes and eventually inherited the throne of Thessaly. Centaurus, as an adult, fathered Nessus and numerous other Centaurs from normal horses. Centaurus made a claim for the throne of Thessaly himself and, after several battles, came to a truce with Perithous who shared the land with him. The peace was shattered when Nessus and the Centaurs tried to abduct Hippodameia, Peirithous's bride, at their wedding. The Centaurs were driven south to Malea and eventually reached Mount Pholoe in Arcadia, where they encountered the huntress Atalanta, who slew Ripheus and Rhoecus. Pholus, a centaur son of Silenius, tried to instill in the remaining Centaurs more civilized manners, but once more aroused by the taste of wine, the Centaurs tried to abduct wives again. During his Fourth Labor, Hercules drove them off, but killed Eurytion in the attack. Most of the Centaurs fled to Eleusis, but Nessus fled to Aetolia, where he got a job as the ferryman of the river Euenos. He even began claiming he received the job, because the gods swore to his sterling character.

One day, Heracles and his wife, Deianeira, passed by the banks of the river Euenos and wished to cross to the other side. After carrying Deianeira across the river, he attempted to take advantage of the situation and steal her away. Heracles witnessed this from across the river and shot a Hydra-poisoned arrow into Nessus’ chest. As a final act of malice, Nessus informed Deianeira that his blood would ensure that Heracles would be faithful to her forever and that, should Heracles ever prove unfaithful, she should use it as a love charm. Deianeira foolishly believed him and, when her trust in her husband began to wane, she spread the centaur’s blood on a shirt and gave it to Heracles. He went to a gathering of heroes, where his passion got the better of him. In the meantime, Deianeira accidentally spilled a portion of the centaur’s blood onto the floor. To her immense horror, she discovered that it began to fume by the light of the rising sun. Instantly recognizing this as poison, Deianeira immediately sent her messenger to warn Heracles, but it was too late. Heracles lay dying as the shirt burned his skin—either in actual flames or by the heat of poison. Heracles died a noble death on a funeral pyre of oak branches, and was taken to Mount Olympus by Zeus and welcomed amongst the gods for his heroic exploits.

OOC: I know you didn’t ask me to complete this homework, Professor Vega, but I wanted to do it anyways, so that I can catch up with the rest of the class and be prepared for the exam. Would you still be willing to mark this? :OOC

Thank you.
Professor Vega
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

LESSON I HOMEWORK Empty
PostSubject: Re: LESSON I HOMEWORK   LESSON I HOMEWORK Empty

Back to top Go down

LESSON I HOMEWORK
Page 1 of 1