Live the Magic!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
The Admins
Fast Links
Current time
SPRING
Year: 2034
Term: 13
Month: March

Term 13 until TBA
House Points
Chat Box
Vote For Us
Affiliates
Photobucket Shadowplay HOS The Beginning Magical World of Harry Potter THE GIRL IS DANGEROUS Hogwarts Academy

Click here to affiliate!
Latest topics
» Chances (Ariel)
Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptySat May 28, 2016 11:34 pm by Ariel Wilde

» HUGE REALLY VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE - PLEASE READ
Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptySat May 21, 2016 11:40 pm by Hunter VanDerberg

» Sunny Afternoon (Open to Anyone)
Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptyFri May 20, 2016 6:58 am by Marielle Prince

» An Unfortunate Accident (Open)
Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptyMon May 16, 2016 2:41 am by Marielle Prince

» Marielle Aveline Prince
Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:57 pm by Sky

» Claim a Face
Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:08 am by Marielle Prince

» AFFILIATE HERE
Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptyMon May 09, 2016 2:42 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» My charries need something fot their life (a plots)
Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptyWed May 04, 2016 8:10 am by Jessica Kim

» The Gif Game 2.0
Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptyTue May 03, 2016 7:39 am by Humphrey Williams

» A Dying Trade (one of JETTS characters)
Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptyMon May 02, 2016 12:25 am by Augustus Beckett

» Wild Child [Ariadne]
Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptySun May 01, 2016 6:01 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» History Of Magic Application
Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» Semi - Activity Check!
Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 11:56 am by Hunter VanDerberg

» EVELYN'S "DRAWINGS"
Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 10:30 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» I Won't Say I'm In Love (closed-one shot)
Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 5:18 pm by Miranda Cunningham

Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ambrosius Umbranox
Adult
Ambrosius Umbranox

My Character
::
Activity: Adult, Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor, Head of Ravenclaw House

Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) Empty
PostSubject: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 10:51 pm

Defence Against the Dark Arts: Lesson One

A warm sensation spread throughout Ambrosius when he entered classroom 3C. Glancing around him, he was pleased to notice that the place had remained exactly the same as it had been during the previous term. A rather obscure atmosphere still reigned in the room, despite the sets of large windows on each side. On the walls, the painting he had positioned were still there : on one of them, one could see a man convulsing in pain while he was transforming into a wolf, on another, a group of dementors were sucking the soul out of their unfortunate victim, on a third a few mountain trolls fighting with a giant. Furthermore, hanging from the ceiling, right next to an iron chandelier, there was a huge dragon skeleton. He had decorated the room that way to give his students an insight on what dangers were lurking in the world and to show them how crucial it was for them to learn to defend themselves against these many dark creatures.

A glance at his reflection in one of the windows showed him that his strange physical appearance had worsened over the last year. Despite being quite young, his pale skin, the dark shadows under his eyes and his rather emaciated face and gaunt figure were more striking than ever. Hoping that his first-year students wouldn't be too terrified by him, he strolled towards his desk and waited for them to arrive, curious to meet the members of this new generation.

He finally heard the door open and a flow of students started coming in. He waited for them to sit down, and then started quietly walking around the classroom, examining every one of them as they were anxiously awaiting the beginning of their first lesson.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 6:29 am

Daisee walked into DADA, excited to be able to learn to defend herself magically. This was the class she had been looking forward to the most when she first arrived, but hadn't been able to due to the lack of a teacher. She smiled at Professor Umbranox as she sat down in one of the front-row seats, eager to start learning right away, hoping that this class would be exciting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 8:45 pm

Leah walked into the class room expecting the lesson to be just as thrilling as the name made it sound. Defence Against the Dark Arts, that sounded pretty exciting to her. Once again Leah made her way to an empty desk, this time it was in the front. She chewed on her bottom lip and swung her feet, anxious to begin.
Back to top Go down
Ambrosius Umbranox
Adult
Ambrosius Umbranox

My Character
Activity: Adult, Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor, Head of Ravenclaw House

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 8:48 pm

After a few minutes of silence, he finally said, with a calm but authoritative voice: “Welcome, first-years, to Defence Against the Dark Arts. I am professor Umbranox, and I will be your teacher during this term.”

After a brief pause, he continued, glancing at random students. They seemed to be carefully listening and eager to find out more. “I believe this class to be exceptionally important for all of you, as I will teach you how to defend yourselves from a wide variety of threats and dangers that you will certainly encounter one day or another in your life. Therefore, I demand your full attention as what I’m trying to teach you may very well save your life in the future. You will be learning how to block unfriendly spells, fight anyone who wishes to harm you, and defeat numerous dark magical creatures. However, for your first year, we will stick to relatively basic but often quite useful defensive spells such as the Curse of the Bogies or the Knock-back Jinx."

He had performed a full circle around the room and stopped just behind his desk. “Apart from your books, The Standard Book of Spells and The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection, which I sincerely hope you have bought, all you will be needing for this class is your wand. I want you to be as active as possible during classes: that means that whenever you have a question, or you have not understood something, even if it has been already explained, you must not hesitate to ask. I will then do my best to explain in another way. I am here for that. You are the ones discovering the lessons; I am only here to guide you.” he stressed, profoundly looking at every student to make sure that it was clear to them.

“That is all I have to say. However, as we will be spending a lot of time together, I wish to know a little more about all of you. Therefore, everyone please tell me your names, whether you have already encountered any sort of Dark Force in your life or performed or attempted to cast, intentionally or not, any defensive spell until now. You can begin.” he said, looking at the girl on the left extremity of the first row. He then quietly pulled his chair and sat down, ready to listen to what his students had to say.

Last edited by Ambrosius Umbranox on Thu May 16, 2013 10:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Zoran Mandelino
Adult
Zoran Mandelino

My Character
Activity: Gryffindor - Year 4

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 5:49 pm

Zoran swiftly reached the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom. He was really excited for this class, as this would help him learn defensive spells and Shah and his....quest. When he entered, he found two girls and the teacher in the room. He nodded at the professor and took a seat in the middle of the classroom. Prof. Umbranox gave them a short introduction on what Defence Against the Dark Arts was all about. When the teacher asked the students to introduce themselves, not bothering to stand up, he raised his hand and said, "I'm Zoran Mandelino. I've never come across any sort of Dark Force in my life," Zoran was lying, of course. He'd lived with Dark Force till he was 10 years old. Now that the teacher asked, he'd never really used any of the spells. Just heard about them. "And no, sir. I've never actually cast a spell before."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 10:12 am

Emmalynne had been trying to pretend that she wasn’t in the classroom. That was the best explanation as to why she had been seated quietly near the middle of the classroom, continually looking at the paintings on the walls and then the dragon skeleton with wide eyes when she hadn’t been watching Professor Umbranox circling around like, well, she wasn’t sure what. It was just all creepy and made her want to hide. Along with reminding her of the stories her mother had told her about how Dark wizards had affected her family in the past, but she’d managed to focus as the lesson had started. Of course she’d bought the books. She hadn’t exactly opened either of them since she’d gotten to Hogwarts, but she had them. She’d just been stalling thinking about having to actually learn to defend herself against Dark magic, because it just kept making her worry. She wanted to be prepared, she just didn’t actually want to learn what she was up against.

Her head had turned as a boy had answered the professor’s request for their names and things, watching him with the same wide eyes she’d had ever since she’d stepped foot into the room. Something seemed odd about the answer, and the investigative part of herself was piqued. She wasn’t about to interrupt the lesson in order to ask, but maybe Professor Umbranox would have noticed it too. He seemed awfully attentive to all of them, after all. “Professor, my name is Emmalynne St. Pierre, and I haven’t personally experienced anything related to Dark magic, but at least one of my ancestors did. I haven’t tried to cast any defensive spells yet, either,” she said, once it was her turn to speak. She wasn’t going to say anything more about that, and she hadn’t had any reason to try out any defensive charms before. That wasn’t going to stop her from learning, though, provided she could stop thinking about how spooky everything in the classroom was.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 8:00 am

It was her turn to speak, "I'm Leah Ridges, I'm muggleborn so I never came across any dark magic or tried any defensive spells." Actually she never even knew there was any kind of dark magic at all untill she started reading her DADA book. It was a bit shocking to her that something so wonderful would be used in such ways. But then it made perfect sense to her, of course someone would want to seize power and use magic to hurt someone to do so. It was only human nature, always wanting to be the one on top.
Back to top Go down
Ambrosius Umbranox
Adult
Ambrosius Umbranox

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 1:07 am

Ambrosius was carefully listening to his students. He was pleased to see that they all had different backgrounds, yet slightly surprised that none of them had experienced magic before, as it was very common for young children to unintentionally perform it, sometimes even without being aware of it. He also couldn't help feeling that some of them knew more than they revealed, though he didn't want to insist. Giving an encouraging glance to those who hadn't spoken yet, he waited for them to do so before continuing with the lesson.
Back to top Go down
Aurelia Rosier
Adult
Aurelia Rosier

My Character
Activity: Slytherin - Year 2, Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop Worker

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 12:46 pm

After having finally found a seat in the classroom, the Professor began the lesson by inquiring about their degree of familiarity with the subject of Defense Against the Dark Arts. Frowning, Aurelia considered what she knew of the Dark Arts versus what she knew of defending against those who had obtained such power and wielded it in society. Those who spoke before her evidently each had a different background, some of them with a far greater understanding or grasp of the subject than herself.

As Aurelia considered the Professor’s question carefully, tilting her head to the side as she assessed her surroundings with a distant look upon her features, she attempted to think of a proper ‘definition’ for the word Defence Against the Dark Arts. It was a skill used to defend a person from a spell cast by Dark wizards, yet there was more to it than just that. Spells were not the only component of the skill; that much was evident to the girl, yet she could not place the other aspect of the subject in words.

With an imperceptible shake of her head, the young girl broke out of her light reverie and glanced upwards to meet the Professor’s gaze.
“ I'm Aurelia Rosier, Professor. Most of my ancestors, except for my parents, were Death Eaters and various members of the Dark Force, so yes I have encountered in my lifetime. As for defensive spells…” she hesitated for a moment before nodding, “Yes, I have attempted them.” As she concluded her brief introduction, Aurelia couldn't help but wonder if she had shared too much with the class, and sincerely hoped that they wouldn't judge her for the secrets she had revealed.
Back to top Go down
Ambrosius Umbranox
Adult
Ambrosius Umbranox

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 10:57 am

"Thank you for sharing that." Ambrosius concluded once all his students had spoken. "I am glad to see that some of you have already heard of a few spells related to Defence Against the Dark Arts, or even attempted to cast some of them. However, the others should have no worries, as we will learn everything from the beginning. And believe me, in my experience, the best students are those who try the hardest and practice the most, and not those who possess the largest knowledge at the start.".

After a brief pause, he pursued: "Now that we know each other, we can start with the lesson. As you may have noticed from your stories, some of you have already performed magic. At your age, in most cases, it is an unintentional response to a specific situation. For example, I am certain that at least some of you have witnessed inexplicable events occurring around you when you were scared or threatened. Strong feelings such as fear or anger can be powerful magical catalysts, but I have to warn you that they will not be enough to save you when facing a threat. That is why I will try to teach you to, through deep concentration and much hard work, master a set of spells that will make you able to defend yourselves."

He stopped at his desk and faced the students. "If you have any questions about Defence Against the Dark Arts in general or the way these lessons are going to function, now would be the time to ask. If not, we will proceed." He glanced around the room, waiting to see if any of his students were going to raise their hand.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 12:22 pm

As he entered the dimly lit classroom, Emilio's gaze flicked across the decorations with little interest. Obviously they were meant to scare the other wimpy first-years, but dead dragons and freakish pictures didn't really bother him. Not that he wanted to be in that much pain, of course, but he wasn't the type to freak out when others were experiencing it. He took a seat at the end of the nearest row and watched silently as the others introduced themselves. He mentally stored their names in case he needed to use them in the future. Hoping that the professor would skip him, he slumped in his seat and attempted to make himself unnoticeable.

However, the gaunt professor had eyes of steel, apparently. They caught on Em, and he straightened slightly. "I'm Emilio Nocicarte," he began in a bored tone, "and I guess I've heard of defensive spells, but I've never done anything with them." And I really don't care, he added silently. As Umbranox continued, Em prepared to take no notice, but the class really did sound interesting. At least that's what it was supposed to sound like. Em doubted they would learn anything real for a while, perhaps never. He kept his gaze on the professor, though, even if he would rather not.
Back to top Go down
Ambrosius Umbranox
Adult
Ambrosius Umbranox

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 6:19 pm

"Since there seems to be no questions, we can move on. The first spell we are going to learn is not really a defensive one. However, even if it is one of the simplest charms, it can often prove very useful. As a very wise man once said: "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, when one only remembers to turn on the light". Well, that is literally what we are going to do today."

Approaching the blackboard, he took a piece of chalk and wrote: "The Wand Lighting Spell". He then turned towards the class, took out his wand, and pronounced very clearly: "Lumos". A very powerful bright blue light burst out of the extremity of his wand, illuminating the whole room. After a few moments, he uttered: "Nox" and the light instantly went out. "As you can see, the Lighting Spell produces a light that allows the caster to illuminate dark areas, like with a lantern. The incantation is Lumos and the counter-spell Nox. There is no precise hand movement for this charm, it is sufficient to just point at the area that you wish to illuminate. As you may perhaps already know, when casting a spell, three factors are essential: the incantation - it has to be pronounced clearly, the hand movement - it has to be executed precisely, and the intent: you have to imagine the outcome in your head and be confident that you will succeed".

With an encouraging voice, he announced: "I now want you all to attempt to cast the Wand Lighting Spell. Do notworry if success does not come at once, just keep trying. We will proceed with the lesson once each of your wands has emitted a glow, however powerful it is.". He then started walking between the tables, observing the students in their attempts to cast the charm, ready to help them if needed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 7:00 pm

Taison listened and watched the Professor perform Lumos and Now. He then held out his wand and said, "Lumos." A light flickered but then went out. He tried again and again, until it finally worked. He waved his wand in the air excitedly then said, "Nox." and it went out.

He was so shocked that it actually worked, that over and over he performed the two spells.
Back to top Go down
Zoran Mandelino
Adult
Zoran Mandelino

My Character
Activity: Gryffindor - Year 4

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 12:49 pm

Zoran listened with a bored expression on his face.

Isn't this supposed to be taught in Charms?

He was expecting something more interesting, something more....well, defensive. Seeing as this was what they were going to learn today, Z pulled out his wand and muttered, "Lumos." His wand lit almost immediately. Zoran was sort of expecting it to not work, so that he'd have something to work on. He sighed, partly liking the fact that he could do it at the first try. "Nox." The wand went off. He continued to do the same thing as he didn't have anything else to do.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 7:42 am

Leah closed her eyes and tried to imagine a little orb of light on the tip of her wand, satisfied with the image she tried the spell, "Lumo-os" She huffed at her involentary stutter, "Lumos" She said again this time getting a nice white glow of a light at the tip of her wand. This was probably the easiest spell yet. "Nox" The light vansihed leaving Leah very satisfied and proud.
Back to top Go down
Ambrosius Umbranox
Adult
Ambrosius Umbranox

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 9:26 pm

Ambrosius was very pleased to see that after some time, most of his students had succeeded in casting the Wand Lighting Spell, even if many of them still had some minor difficulties. “Great work. I award five points to each of you. I did not expect that you would master the spell in such short notice, but you are apparently quite talented for this subject.” he said, the right corner of his lips stretching in what could be interpreted as a smile. “However, do not let this fool you. This is one of the simplest charms we are going to learn, so do not relax thinking that you are very skilled in Defence Against the Dark Arts just because you have cast it once, and keep working hard and practicing.” he added, immediately becoming serious again.

After a short pause, he continued, while walking around the classroom: "As you have noticed, Defence Against the Dark Arts lessons will often involve practicing a specific spell, most of the time a defensive one. Therefore, I believe that working in groups is the most efficient way to proceed in this subject. More precisely, you will all be sorted into pairs. The first phase of our lessons will involve learning how to cast a specific spell, as we did today with the Wand Lighting Charm, along with discussing useful information about it. You will try to perform the spell, while your partner observes you, and corrects any error you are making. You see, I have found that it is not always easy for people to notice their own mistakes, and an exterior point of view can often prove very helpful. Then, once one member of a group has successfully cast the spell, he or she will exchange roles with his or her partner. The second phase will consist of putting what you have just learned to the test, most of the time through some sort of practical task. You will understand what I mean during our next lesson."

Regaining his desk, he made a pause to make sure that the students didn't have anything to inquire and to let those who still hadn't succeeded in casting the charm attempt it one last time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 10:42 am

In all her nervousness over the classroom and everything else, even notwithstanding the fact she had managed to get enough courage to introduce herself before the spell they were going to be working on had been introduced, Emmalynne had practically forgotten to actually try to successfully cast the wand-lighting charm. Just as she’d forgotten to mention that she may have tried this one before, but she hadn’t said that because the earlier question had been about defensive magic and she didn’t really consider it defensive. Plus, Professor Umbranox had even said that it wasn’t exactly defensive, so she felt like she couldn’t have been wrong in not mentioning it before. All she’d said was that she’d never tried to cast any defensive spells, and that was it.

Either way, the next thing she’d heard was the professor speaking again and at least partially moving the lesson on, and she’d flushed a light pink as she realized she hadn’t tried the spell yet. Oops, she thought, quickly taking her wand out and preparing to cast it surreptitiously if she had to. She wasn’t about to not show that she could cast it, especially if they were going to be paired off for more practice soon. However, once he’d finished speaking, there was another pause. Almost as if he had realized that not everyone had cast the spell yet, and she blushed even more at that. She was still going to show that she could, so she closed her eyes and focused on the little orb of light that was supposed to appear. “Lumos,” she practically whispered, opening her eyes to notice that not only had a tiny light appeared, but the concentration had calmed her down as well. That was even better, and she at least knew she could still cast the charm. “Nox,” she said, just as quietly, then turned her attention back to the professor as she waited to be paired up or whatever would happen next.
Back to top Go down
Aurelia Rosier
Adult
Aurelia Rosier

My Character
Activity: Slytherin - Year 2, Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop Worker

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 7:51 am

Once the professor concluded his explanation to the class, Aurelia turned to one side, her azure eyes immediately glimmering with a detemrined glint. She wished to produce these spells accurately and generate the intended effects, above all else at the moment. She allowed her body to fall into a similar stance to the ones that the Professors in the various classes had taught, her finger covering the majority of the wond, the tip of her index finger aligned perfectly with the tip of her wand, while her wrist lay motionless and relaxed, ready for a quick 'swish' and a 'flick'. Closing her eyes, she directed her wand towards nothing in particular, narrowing her gaze as she watched her wand intently. "Lumos," she hissed, azure eyes widening as a shimmering veil of light was produced from the tip in front of Aurelia, the slightest hint of pigmentation surrounding the aura suggesting that it was of a white or yellow-based color.

A small smile curved across her lips, as she twirled the wand gently in her hands, tilting her head to the side appraisingly as she watched the graceful movement of the wand. Convinced that her level of mastery and precision with the spell would increase with practice, she gave her shoulders a light shrug and decided to try the next spell.
"Nox," she stated confidently, flicking her wrists as she brought the wand down. The ray of light quivered for a few seconds reluctantly, before extinguishing, leaving no sign of her feat behind. The smile on her lips widened as she turned towards the professor, silently awaiting the next phase of their lesson.
Back to top Go down
Ambrosius Umbranox
Adult
Ambrosius Umbranox

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 10:32 am

"Five more points for Hufflepuff and Slytherin" Ambrosius announced, noticing that two more students have completed the task. "As I was saying, from next time you will have the opportunity to work in groups. I will let you determine whom you want to team up with." he added. "And you will be able to choose a new partner every lesson if you desire, so that you get to know as many other students as possible. Of course, they not have to be from your own House. And if someone is left alone once the groups have been formed, they will have the pleasure to practice with me." After finishing his explanation, he waited for a couple of seconds, looking around to see if anyone else had a question, but apparently everything was clear.

"As I told you earlier, the Wand Lighting Spell is not exactly a defensive one, and I am fairly certain some of you are wondering how casting a faint glimmer of light can be useful when facing the Dark Arts. However, even the simplest of charms can prove effective when performed in the right situation. You will find that sometimes Lumos is sufficient to keep darkness at a distance. Can anyone tell me what kind of creatures it can be used against?" he inquired, scanning the room to see if any hands would rise.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 4:40 am

Daisee rushed in to class, knowing she was super-late. Her uniform was kind of rumpled, and there were bags underneath her eyes.

"Sorry, Professor!" Daisee puffed as she clutched the stitch in her chest. "I overslept- was up until 3am studying!" Usually that would be a bunch of bollacks, but this time it was true. She got there just in time to hear the question. She didn't know it for certain, but she could take an educated guess. She raised her hand.

"Maybe Boggarts, sir? Or Lethifolds?"

OOC: Sorry, RL school's been pretty hectic, and I have a position of responsibility that takes time to maintain on another site as well!
Back to top Go down
Ambrosius Umbranox
Adult
Ambrosius Umbranox

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 3:06 pm

Before anyone could answer, the door swung open and a young girl stormed into the classroom. "Miss Dursley, I presume?" Ambrosius questioned, glancing at the list after listening to the student's apology. "There is one thing I will not tolerate, and it is late arrivals. Today is an exception since it is our first lesson and I am aware that it is not always easy to find one's path for those not yet familiar with the Castle. However, from now on, do your best to be on time. This applies to all of you." he added, glancing around the room. "And next time, try knocking before barging into the classroom."

"Unfortunately, Boggarts and Lethifolds are far too powerful to be defeated by a simple Wand Lighting Charm." he replied to the Gryffindor. "Are there any other suggestions? Feel free to use your schoolbooks to help you."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 9:46 am

Emmalynne’s eyes had widened again as Daisee had shown up to the lesson really late, and then Professor Umbranox had lectured her, and everyone, about how tardiness would not be tolerated. Of course, at least she had had a guess as to creatures that might be repelled by the Lumos charm. It had been more than she had come up with herself, whether or not it had turned out to be a good guess. In fact, it hadn’t, and it took her a moment or two to even decipher what the professor had gone on to ask them. Something told her that he wasn’t asking about other spells. Therefore, she’d need to come up with a different answer, just to prove she could actually speak up in the lesson.

At least the few seconds had given her time to think. “Isn’t a type of Lumos used against hinkypunks?,” she asked, partly guessing even though she’d read something like that in her textbook over the two seconds between the lecture and the question being asked. Hinkypunks were a creature, and slightly less scary than lethifolds. They were still scary, though.
Back to top Go down
Ambrosius Umbranox
Adult
Ambrosius Umbranox

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 9:58 pm

"That is a very interesting answer, miss St. Pierre." Ambrosius complimented the Hufflpuff once she had given her reply. "Seven points to Hufflepuff. For those of you who have not heard of it, a Hinkypunk is a small, one-legged creature which appears to be formed of wispy grey, blue or white smoke. It has a proclivity for luring travelers off their path at night and into treacherous bogs, under the guise of a lamp-bearing being who could help them." he explained. "One of the ways to defeat it is using a Lumos Duo charm, one of the several variations of the basic version of the Wand Lighting Spell. It should be cast at the Hinkypunk from close-range, until it turns solid. A Knock-Back Jinx is then sufficient to vanquish it."

Ambrosius glanced at his watch. There were only a few minutes remaining until the end of the lesson. Defence Against the Dark Arts classes usually lasted two hours, but since this was an introductory lesson, he had agreed to make it shorter. Switching his attention back to his students, he announced: “As you may have noticed, the end of the lesson is approaching. Now that you know how to perform the Wand Lighting Charm, next time we will continue discussing its uses in defending against Dark Forces, and will practice casting the different variations of this spell.“

Suddenly, the bell rang, announcing the end of the class. “Therefore, I ask all of you to read the chapter about the Wand Lighting Charm in the Standard Book of Spells for next time, as well as to practice casting it. You also have to write four inches of parchment about the spell's use in defence against dark creatures, as well as the different variations on this charm and their effects. Please do this homework seriously as it will help you prepare for what we are going to do during our next lesson, and will also allow you to earn points for your House.”

He started packing his things in his bag and added: “Well done for your performances today. Do not forget to practice the spell. You are free to go now. I will see you next week.”
Back to top Go down
Deirdre Seamore
Adult
Deirdre Seamore

My Character
Activity: Hufflepuff - Year 3

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 10:30 am

Deirdre didn't even know if her teacher had noticed her being late.Thankfully,he hadn't,and she sneaked in the only free seat.She managed to catch his words,but before she could reply to his question,he continued on with Lumos and Nox.
She,herself,didn't like the DADA subject.The Dark Arts were mysterious,unknown,so interesting to her,and she saw no need to protect herself from them.So she was relieved when the teacher announced those two simple spells they had to do.
She got up from her place confidently,her long hair floating slightly behind her.She held her wand forward and with a loud and clear voice she said "Lumos"
A strong bolt of light ran from her wand and she smirked,everybody's eyes were on her."Nox"the light went out.
Deirdre sat in her place.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 12:03 am

Auden snuck into the classroom right after Deirdre. She heard the professor's words and sat at a desk. Auden liked DADA. She liked learning new things and having challenges thrown at her. And DADA did just that. Auden stood up and held her wand up. She said with a steady voice, "Lumos". A thick line of light came out of her wand. Auden felt very proud that she got it on her first try. Auden then said "Nox". It didn't work at first. She then tried it again, "Nox". The light disappeared.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)   Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I) Empty

Back to top Go down

Lesson One - The Wand Lighting Charm (Year I)
Page 1 of 1