Live the Magic!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
The Admins
Fast Links
Current time
SPRING
Year: 2034
Term: 13
Month: March

Term 13 until TBA
House Points
Chat Box
Vote For Us
Affiliates
Photobucket Shadowplay HOS The Beginning Magical World of Harry Potter THE GIRL IS DANGEROUS Hogwarts Academy

Click here to affiliate!
Latest topics
» Chances (Ariel)
Term 5 Lesson 1:Astronomy EmptySat May 28, 2016 11:34 pm by Ariel Wilde

» HUGE REALLY VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE - PLEASE READ
Term 5 Lesson 1:Astronomy EmptySat May 21, 2016 11:40 pm by Hunter VanDerberg

» Sunny Afternoon (Open to Anyone)
Term 5 Lesson 1:Astronomy EmptyFri May 20, 2016 6:58 am by Marielle Prince

» An Unfortunate Accident (Open)
Term 5 Lesson 1:Astronomy EmptyMon May 16, 2016 2:41 am by Marielle Prince

» Marielle Aveline Prince
Term 5 Lesson 1:Astronomy EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:57 pm by Sky

» Claim a Face
Term 5 Lesson 1:Astronomy EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:08 am by Marielle Prince

» AFFILIATE HERE
Term 5 Lesson 1:Astronomy EmptyMon May 09, 2016 2:42 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» My charries need something fot their life (a plots)
Term 5 Lesson 1:Astronomy EmptyWed May 04, 2016 8:10 am by Jessica Kim

» The Gif Game 2.0
Term 5 Lesson 1:Astronomy EmptyTue May 03, 2016 7:39 am by Humphrey Williams

» A Dying Trade (one of JETTS characters)
Term 5 Lesson 1:Astronomy EmptyMon May 02, 2016 12:25 am by Augustus Beckett

» Wild Child [Ariadne]
Term 5 Lesson 1:Astronomy EmptySun May 01, 2016 6:01 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» History Of Magic Application
Term 5 Lesson 1:Astronomy EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» Semi - Activity Check!
Term 5 Lesson 1:Astronomy EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 11:56 am by Hunter VanDerberg

» EVELYN'S "DRAWINGS"
Term 5 Lesson 1:Astronomy EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 10:30 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» I Won't Say I'm In Love (closed-one shot)
Term 5 Lesson 1:Astronomy EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 5:18 pm by Miranda Cunningham

Term 5 Lesson 1:Astronomy

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Term 5 Lesson 1:Astronomy Empty
PostSubject: Term 5 Lesson 1:Astronomy   Term 5 Lesson 1:Astronomy EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 5:08 am

OOC: Due to my hectic schedule at the moment, I decided to do this. I'm sorry if it's not what most professors do.

The Phases of the Moon

To explain why the moon appears to be illuminated differently everyday, we need to know that the moon shines by the reflected light of the sun. The moon is always being half-illuminated by the sun, though what we see depends entirely on where the sun, the earth and the moon are located at a certain moment.

For example, when the moon is near the sun, the side that faces the sun is what we see (a new moon). A few days after this, the moon stands at 90° away from the sun and we see the first quarter. When the moon is opposite the sun, the sunlit side faces us (a full moon). After the full moon, the moon stands again at 90° away from the sun and we see the third quarter.
There are also phases in between the ones mentioned above. But fist, we must understand the following words:crescent, gibbous, waxing, and waning.
Crescent: The phases where the moon is less than half illuminated.
Gibbous: The phases where the moon is more than half illuminated.
Waxing: Growing or expanding in illumination
Waning: Shrinking or decreasing in illumination.

After the new moon, the sunlit side is increasing, but less than half, so it is waxing crescent. After the first quarter, the sunlit side is still increasing, but now it is more than half, so it is waxing gibbous. After the full moon, the light continually decreases. So the waning gibbous phase occurs next. Following the third quarter is the waning crescent, which wanes until the light is completely gone, therefore completing the cycle as it becomes a new moon once again.

The moon takes around 29.5 days to go through the whole cycle of phases, so it must move 360 / 29.5 or about 12° through the sky from day to day. It rises and sets 24 / 29.5 hours or about 50 minutes earlier each day.

Term 5 Lesson 1:Astronomy Moon_phases_diagram

How to Tell a New Moon and a Full Moon Apart
A new moon must rise and set with the sun. A full moon must rise with the sunset and set with the sunrise.

What About First and Third Quarters?
A first quarter moon rises around midday and is high in the sky around sunset. A third quarter moon rises around midnight and is high in the sky around sunrise.

Term 5 Lesson 1:Astronomy Moonphases

For Fun!
See what phase the moon was in on your birthday here!
Back to top Go down

Term 5 Lesson 1:Astronomy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Term 5 Lesson 1:Astronomy   Term 5 Lesson 1:Astronomy EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 5:15 am

Homework
With a partner or on your own, choose a day of the week to spend a few minutes outside the castle, get some fresh air, and observe the moon. Write your observations of the present moon phase during your trip on a small piece of parchment and bring it to you on the next class.

OOC: You may roleplay here if you have any questions and I'll try to check in to answer them, but my posts for this next few days will be very short. Again, my apologies.
Back to top Go down

Term 5 Lesson 1:Astronomy
Page 1 of 1