HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
The Admins
Fast Links
Current time
SPRING
Year: 2034
Term: 13
Month: March

Term 13 until TBA
House Points
Chat Box
Vote For Us
Affiliates
Photobucket Shadowplay HOS The Beginning Magical World of Harry Potter THE GIRL IS DANGEROUS Hogwarts Academy

Click here to affiliate!
Latest topics
» Chances (Ariel)
Classes and RL EmptySat May 28, 2016 11:34 pm by Ariel Wilde

» HUGE REALLY VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE - PLEASE READ
Classes and RL EmptySat May 21, 2016 11:40 pm by Hunter VanDerberg

» Sunny Afternoon (Open to Anyone)
Classes and RL EmptyFri May 20, 2016 6:58 am by Marielle Prince

» An Unfortunate Accident (Open)
Classes and RL EmptyMon May 16, 2016 2:41 am by Marielle Prince

» Marielle Aveline Prince
Classes and RL EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:57 pm by Sky

» Claim a Face
Classes and RL EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:08 am by Marielle Prince

» AFFILIATE HERE
Classes and RL EmptyMon May 09, 2016 2:42 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» My charries need something fot their life (a plots)
Classes and RL EmptyWed May 04, 2016 8:10 am by Jessica Kim

» The Gif Game 2.0
Classes and RL EmptyTue May 03, 2016 7:39 am by Humphrey Williams

» A Dying Trade (one of JETTS characters)
Classes and RL EmptyMon May 02, 2016 12:25 am by Augustus Beckett

» Wild Child [Ariadne]
Classes and RL EmptySun May 01, 2016 6:01 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» History Of Magic Application
Classes and RL EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» Semi - Activity Check!
Classes and RL EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 11:56 am by Hunter VanDerberg

» EVELYN'S "DRAWINGS"
Classes and RL EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 10:30 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» I Won't Say I'm In Love (closed-one shot)
Classes and RL EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 5:18 pm by Miranda Cunningham

Classes and RL

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Classes and RL Empty
PostSubject: Classes and RL   Classes and RL EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 10:49 pm

I was just thinking that a lot, if not all, of our members have RL school to juggle with their lives online. I'm not sure that many people have the time to take all the required classes, plus deal with whatever demands their RL makes of them. (I do; but then, I have no life. Very Happy ) I was wondering if it might be better, and gain more consistently active members, if we tweaked it a little.

I was thinking that maybe, instead of characters taking almost all the classes every LTM year, have a required minimum number of classes (maybe 3-4?) that each character MUST take to stay active (though they can sign up for more if they want), but they can choose which classes to take, with a restriction or two. As an example (which could be tweaked however the admin see fit):

First Years:
MUST take Flying
1 or more core subjects (e.g. Astronomy, Charms, DADA, Herbology, HoM, Potions, and/or Transfiguration)
1 or more electives (e.g. Care of Magical Creatures and/or Divination)

Second Year:
2 or more core subjects
1 or more electives

Third/Fourth Year:
2 or more core subjects
2 or more electives (this time including Ancient Runes, Arithmancy, and/or Muggle Studies, as well as Care of Magical Creatures and/or Divination.)

OWLs:
The OWLs taken during this time must be taken a certain amount of years to be eligible to study them.

NEWTs:
Must have passed OWL to take with as good of a grade as each teacher requires.
Back to top Go down

Classes and RL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classes and RL   Classes and RL EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 3:48 am

wait, I didn't know you had to take all classes??? wow that's pretty lame..

Elective classes are offered starting year 3, it's canon... can't be changed.

And flying is definitly a yes for first years

In my site, we have a minimum of 3 classes and that's enough
Back to top Go down

Classes and RL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classes and RL   Classes and RL EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 11:20 pm

Well, I never said it was lame. In fact, the only reason I'm suggesting this in the first place is because all of the classes are so good, they take up a lot of time. They're all better than a block of text with a couple of questions each week, that's for sure. I believe if people DIDN'T have RL school to juggle, they'd be more than willing to have their characters take all classes. Please don't twist my words around into something I never even implied.

Also, canon can be changed, given the circumstances of RP in general. The Forum Updates state that Care of Magical Creatures and Divination can be taken from first year. Also, I'm really glad you have another RP site that you like so much and I'm sure it's great, but it doesn't mean other sites that work differently can't be just as great.

Back to my suggestion, another couple of ways we might be able to do it is have all the homework due at the end of the year with the exam, or have half the classes active for the first two and a half months, and the other half active for the last two and a half months each term. (Maybe with Christmas break dividing them?)
Back to top Go down

Classes and RL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classes and RL   Classes and RL EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 11:21 pm

I'm not twisting them, I am saying them myself, how idiotic are you?

All homework due at the end of year??? I disagree
Back to top Go down
Lucy Malfoy
Adult
Lucy Malfoy

My Character
::
Activity: Slytherin Alumni, Auror, Flying Professor

Classes and RL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classes and RL   Classes and RL EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 12:47 am

James you really need to stop calling people names. She misunderstood your words, fine, just leave it like that.

On the other hand, I do think we should shorten the requirement of classes. Most teachers aren't very active and in the case that happens again we could just take another class. Also, I agree with James, turning all homework at the end of the year is not something I want to do.

Maybe if we just had a set number of possible homeworks, like, let's say a class can only give two research homeworks and four other types of homeworks. That leaves enough for six lessons, which I think is what you were thinking of.

Back to top Go down

Classes and RL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classes and RL   Classes and RL EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 12:48 am

a user shud be able to take whatever classes they cna handle
Back to top Go down
Kim Frey
Admin
Admin
Kim Frey

My Character
Activity: Slytherin - Year 3, Radio Worker

Classes and RL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classes and RL   Classes and RL EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 5:21 pm

I think it is a great idea. The number of subjects you suggested is ideal, especially, we all have life outside this forum. Your idea on the first message is, I think, perfect to our forum.

I also think that the homework due at the end of the year wouldn't be possible. Every one has the tendency to cram and some of them might be inactive when the end of the year comes but your other suggestion, to take different subjects in two and a half months and another one on the half of the term is also great. It will serve as two semesters in one term. This will serve as a refresh for the users who are bored with the subjects they are taking.

In Lucy's suggestion, I also think that there should be a number of lessons that Professors need to achieve. Though, if we do follow Daisee's suggestion, homework should be implemented while the classes are going on, considering that there will be shorter time length this time. If ever we will have six lessons, it will be one lesson per week. This will require users to be online most of the time to keep up with their lessons. I think that maybe the requirement number of lessons will be 4-6, depending on the professor's speed on performing his/her lessons.

Classes and RL HAKim2_zps963853e8
Back to top Go down
http://thedrunktrain.blogspot.com
Jeremy Rufford

Jeremy Rufford

My Character
Activity: Adult, Minister for Magic

Classes and RL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classes and RL   Classes and RL EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 5:35 pm

Kim, I did PM you a new way to use schedules that at least I use and works out perfect...

Make a term schedule by week. 'Week 1', 'Week 2', etc. and every week is a new lesson... my max weeks is 6 so term is about a month and a half long which to me is perfect for the plot

Classes and RL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classes and RL   Classes and RL EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 1:42 am

I think mixing my idea in the first message and Lucy's idea would be a good idea, along with the last idea in my second message, with having half the classes active the first half of term and the other half active the second half of term.

That way, each character could have a class schedule that works out for their individual character developments, yet still have that reality of taking required classes that they might not like IC, but have to take anyway. And having a required amount of lessons for the teachers to plan is a good idea as well, so members controlling adult teaching characters have a better idea of the time they need to be able to devote on the site.

As I was typing the idea about all homeworks being due at the end of the year, I didn't think it was the best idea either, but I felt I should get all of the possible ideas out for others to consider. Smile However, I don't think each class lasting only a week in RL time is the best idea, as that sounds awfully quick for an RP setting, where each post is 1-2 paragraphs at the very least. A single week doesn't sound like enough time to cram in a full lesson, as well as all the character's interactions.

Also, I apologize for any misunderstandings I might have caused. Sometimes it's difficult to interpret exactly what other people are talking about online. I don't mean to cause any trouble. Sad
Back to top Go down

Classes and RL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classes and RL   Classes and RL EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 1:45 am

Depending on the acutuvity of users on the site one week is very possible,I've done it
Back to top Go down
Kim Frey
Admin
Admin
Kim Frey

My Character
Activity: Slytherin - Year 3, Radio Worker

Classes and RL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classes and RL   Classes and RL EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 2:14 pm

Jeremy, I did not receive any message concerning this topic. I'll wait for it though.

One week may be possible but it will require the student users to log in more often. In reality, some normal users log in here, thrice a week and I don't think that they will catch the lesson easily on that way, knowing that they will miss a lot of lessons. It will be ideal if there is not specific amount of lessons, but just a estimated number.

Classes and RL HAKim2_zps963853e8
Back to top Go down
http://thedrunktrain.blogspot.com
Jeremy Rufford

Jeremy Rufford

My Character
Activity: Adult, Minister for Magic

Classes and RL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classes and RL   Classes and RL EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 5:39 pm

Well, true. If you were to delete all the inactive users, you would be left with a more accurate number and you can do this better. It helps, uff believe me

Classes and RL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classes and RL   Classes and RL EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 7:07 am

I would think doubling that time -2 RL weeks per lesson- would be more doable, though if Jace Lestrange's suggestion about the term length goes into action, it'll be tight (3 lessons, plus a week for exams). That might be enough though, if each teacher is expected to go over more than one topic in each of their lessons. But then there's Christmas break to consider. Maybe have each lesson be 11 days maximum?

So, taking Jace's suggestion into consideration with this (each term would be 54 days, according to how Jace set it up), 33 days of that would be 3 lessons, 7 days of that would be Christmas break, and for exam week, I wouldn't think exam week would take as long as regular lessons, would they? So maybe make them 7 RL days maximum? And have each homework assigned at the discretion of each individual teacher.

So, maybe (Using next term as an example):
Jan. 24th to Feb. 3rd: Classes first lessons
Feb. 4th to Feb. 14th: Classes second lessons
Feb. 15th to Feb. 21st: Christmas Break
Feb. 22nd to March 4th: Classes third lessons
March 5th to March 11th: Exam Week
March 12th to March 15th: End-of-Term Wrap-Up

What do you guys think?

Back to top Go down

Classes and RL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classes and RL   Classes and RL EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 7:09 am

Oh, in my schedule I didn't take into consideration christmas break clearly because at least in my site i dont do that mid term break but that schedule seems okay if Kim likes it
Back to top Go down

Classes and RL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classes and RL   Classes and RL EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 10:04 pm

Also, if professors give classwork, why give homework??

I suggest we forget about homework and just assign classwork.

Also, from experience, I know that making a schedule on when lessons take place giving them a fixed time doesn't work at all. (I learned that last term on my forum) My schedule begins on January 21 (for Term 2) not January 24 (which is a Thursday..) and have professors do as much lessons as they want. I notice that professors tend to wait for all students to roleplay there to actually start the lesson, and maybe they can (god-mod) a bit that the students are already there and get right to the lesson and assign the classwork, etc.

If you want to do 'Christmas Break' you can though.. actually it's a good idea..
Back to top Go down

Classes and RL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classes and RL   Classes and RL EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 11:00 am

I agree with no homework. I private messaged all the professors months ago to let them know that it conflicts with my real homework. I also like the change in schedule.
Back to top Go down
Aurelia Rosier
Adult
Aurelia Rosier

My Character
Activity: Slytherin - Year 2, Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop Worker

Classes and RL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classes and RL   Classes and RL EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 4:34 pm

Personally, I wouldn't mind homework, as long as it's not a long essay or something for each and every course.
Perhaps there should be a limit to how much homework the teacher assigns, in terms of the actual length and how long it would take the student to finish it?

Credits to Shah for the amazing signature.
Back to top Go down
James Riddle
Adult
James Riddle

My Character
Activity: Adult

Classes and RL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classes and RL   Classes and RL EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 10:22 pm

I agree with making students choose at least three subjects that they must attend, but to allow them to take more than three classes if they want to. Concerning the homework, maybe we could tell the professors not to give essays or anything long, but only short questions that students could answers without spending too much time on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Classes and RL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classes and RL   Classes and RL Empty

Back to top Go down

Classes and RL
Page 1 of 1