HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
The Admins
Fast Links
Current time
SPRING
Year: 2034
Term: 13
Month: March

Term 13 until TBA
House Points
Chat Box
Vote For Us
Affiliates
Photobucket Shadowplay HOS The Beginning Magical World of Harry Potter THE GIRL IS DANGEROUS Hogwarts Academy

Click here to affiliate!
Latest topics
» Chances (Ariel)
Brothers (Matthew) EmptySat May 28, 2016 11:34 pm by Ariel Wilde

» HUGE REALLY VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE - PLEASE READ
Brothers (Matthew) EmptySat May 21, 2016 11:40 pm by Hunter VanDerberg

» Sunny Afternoon (Open to Anyone)
Brothers (Matthew) EmptyFri May 20, 2016 6:58 am by Marielle Prince

» An Unfortunate Accident (Open)
Brothers (Matthew) EmptyMon May 16, 2016 2:41 am by Marielle Prince

» Marielle Aveline Prince
Brothers (Matthew) EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:57 pm by Sky

» Claim a Face
Brothers (Matthew) EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:08 am by Marielle Prince

» AFFILIATE HERE
Brothers (Matthew) EmptyMon May 09, 2016 2:42 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» My charries need something fot their life (a plots)
Brothers (Matthew) EmptyWed May 04, 2016 8:10 am by Jessica Kim

» The Gif Game 2.0
Brothers (Matthew) EmptyTue May 03, 2016 7:39 am by Humphrey Williams

» A Dying Trade (one of JETTS characters)
Brothers (Matthew) EmptyMon May 02, 2016 12:25 am by Augustus Beckett

» Wild Child [Ariadne]
Brothers (Matthew) EmptySun May 01, 2016 6:01 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» History Of Magic Application
Brothers (Matthew) EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» Semi - Activity Check!
Brothers (Matthew) EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 11:56 am by Hunter VanDerberg

» EVELYN'S "DRAWINGS"
Brothers (Matthew) EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 10:30 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» I Won't Say I'm In Love (closed-one shot)
Brothers (Matthew) EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 5:18 pm by Miranda Cunningham

Brothers (Matthew)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Oliver Bennett
Head Boy
Head Boy
Oliver Bennett

My Character
::
Activity: Hufflepuff - Year 7, Head Boy, Three Broomsticks worker

Brothers (Matthew) Empty
PostSubject: Brothers (Matthew)   Brothers (Matthew) EmptyThu Nov 19, 2015 6:19 am

Oliver saw Matthew quite often now, with him being Head Boy and his brother being Prefect. Truth be told, Oliver always wondered how on earth Matthew ended up with that honor, as he was well aware of Matthew's firewhiskey shenanigans. They were brothers, after all. Still, Oliver didn't say anything, nor did he tell Matthew he knew about it. Oliver had come to realize that even the smallest things could send a relationship down the drain and he was tired of fighting with his little brother. As moody as Matthew was, telling him to stop it with the firewhiskey might just put Oliver in the wrong book again.

With his long legs stretched out in front of him, Oliver's head was buried in one of Victoria's textbooks. He had been with her when she was practicing healing magic, often acting out as her dummy as she practiced all kinds of spells, and had found the subject interesting. If the Department of Mysteries turned out to be the wrong choice, Oliver might just give healing magic a shot. He was reading about bones, the whole skeleton to be exact, and how to repair them. There was a picture of the skeleton to show each bone, and a chart that classified them into sections. Placing the book on his lap, Oliver looked at his wrist to try to make out the bones. It wasn't a hard task, since he had the feminine type of wrists and pretty much anything was visible.

He was counting all of the carpal bones, or at least what he thought were his carpal bones, and trying to memorize them. It seemed obvious to learn the bones before attempting to repair any. Oliver finally had a way to heal Matthew's injuries if he ever got in trouble and had any broken bones. Knowing his brother, it was likely. Flipping the page, Oliver compared his wrist to the graphic in the book, making sure he had all of the bones right before moving up tot he metacarpals. As he read, faint footsteps became audible. The closer the person got, the more Oliver realized that it was actually his brother. The thing about living with someone for a lifetime is that their footsteps become easily recognizable from everyone else's. Lifting his blue eyes, Ollie met his brother's. "Want me to name all of your carpals?" Oliver asked, smiling at the fifteen year old.

Back to top Go down
Matthew Bennett
Slytherin Prefect
Slytherin Prefect
Matthew Bennett

My Character
Activity:

Brothers (Matthew) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brothers (Matthew)   Brothers (Matthew) EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 9:49 pm

Since having lunch with Ari in the astronomy tower, things had been a little less awkward between them. Knowing that they were on the same page was helpful. So was knowing that he didn't have to be completely terrified to touch her. He still was a bit terrified, but at least he knew she wouldn't mind. It was getting easier. And they weren't always awkward anyway. Only when Matthew wanted to instigate something. If Ari was the one to wrap her arms around his neck, or plop down on the couch beside him and lean into him, it was easy. Reacting was easy. Instigating was hard. But at the end of the day, things with Ari were great. Great enough that he'd wasted no time in writing home to his mum to ask about Ari coming for the holidays. Well, not so much asking as delivering a particularly happy letter about how much he missed her and dad, and couldn't wait to come home, and how it was so sad that some people like his friend Ari didn't have anyone to spend the holidays with. Just as expected, his mother had replied practically insisting that he invite Ari to stay with them. Which was brilliant.

Only, his mum didn't know that he and Ari were a bit more than friends. If she knew, she'd never allow it. Which meant that Matthew had to make sure she didn't find out. Which meant he had to find Ollie. Matthew had wasted no time in reading his mum's letter, opening it while still in the owlery. Now, he tucked it into his bag and took off back toward the school. The sooner he found Ollie, the better. Just in case he'd heard something from the Hogwarts rumor mill and thought it would be funny to write home about it. Truthfully, Matthew didn't know if Ollie had any idea about him and Ari. Of course, his brother had teased him about it before, but that was before Matthew had even considered the idea as a real possibility. He was really hoping that he'd at least get to the castle before bumping into his brother, but unfortunately, he was still running through what he wanted to say in his head when he spotted Ollie right in his path as he started across the covered bridge. Figures. Sighing, Matthew headed toward him.

Ollie's eyes met his before he'd completely reached him, and Matthew made an extra effort to grin back. After all, he was kind of asking Ollie for a huge favor, and he didn't want to give his brother any reason to sell him out. And it was no secret that Ollie was not the best liar, especially where their mother was concerned. But at Ollie's question, Matthew looked down at his brother in confusion. "Am I supposed to want you to name all my carpals?" Matthew asked, dropping his bag and lowering to the ground next to Ollie. "Is that for a class?" It wasn't - there wasn't a class like that at Hogwarts. So why was Ollie reading a book about anatomy? His brother was weird, but surely even Ollie couldn't find anatomy intriguing. Matthew fell silent for a moment, not wanting to stall what he needed to talk about, but not sure how to continue. Truthfully, he was more concerned about asking Ollie to lie than he was concerned about telling him about he and Ari in the first place. Taking a breath, Matthew decided to just get straight to it." "Hey, um... I actually need to talk to you about something." His tone was hesitant, and he was sure that Ollie would pick up on it. "If you aren't too busy counting your carpals, that is," he added, to try to cover his earlier hesitancy up.

Head Boy
Head Boy
Oliver Bennett

My Character

Brothers (Matthew) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brothers (Matthew)   Brothers (Matthew) EmptyMon Dec 07, 2015 3:53 pm

Though his brother's grin seemed forced, Oliver didn't point it out. He had grown used to people faking joy, and he himself had done it before, which was dreadful to his younger self. At some point, Oliver had taken pride in being real, in being pure when it came to emotions. Not anymore, though. It had been a long time since Oliver had spoken to Matthew about anything important, really, so talking to his brother about carpals and healing magic was better than having to force their relationship back to the way it used to be. For a short amount of time, it seemed Oliver had learned quite a lot about what normal people were like. The look of confusion on Matthew's face was priceless, however, so that made it worth it. "No." Oliver tried to hold back a small laugh but failed, his eyes following Matthew as he sat on the floor next to him.

"Yeah." Oliver responded, looking back at the book. "Well, no." He continued. "It's Victoria's textbook, she used it for part of her healer training."
He refrained from telling his brother that he had liked healing magic, and that's why he was reading it, because Oliver didn't want to add to his weirdness. He had chosen the Department of Mysteries and he was going to stick with that decision. There was a bit of a pause, an awkward one, as much as Oliver hated to admit it, so he closed his book and put it aside. "So how's it be-?" Oliver started at the same time his brother did, but Matthew's words caught his attention. Shutting up, Oliver looked at his brother. Really looked at him. For some unrealistic reason, Oliver was expecting Matthew to tell him that he was failing a class or that he had gotten his Prefect badge taken away or that he had hurt someone in Dueling or even worse, that someone had hurt him.

The look in his face was probably the easiest to read. He expected Matthew to go on, to tell him something important, something serious. Just the tone of his brother's voice was enough to make Oliver worry, but all Matthew did was be a sassy git. Oliver immediately glared at him. "I can count every single bone in your body, so if you have something to say I'd suggest you start now." Why was it always Matthew that was weird about things? "Unless you want me to start naming..." He frowned at himself, because it was a little too...well, not Ollie. It was a mild version of snapping at his brother, and Oliver rarely snapped. "I mean, go for it. Whatever it is." He added, his tone going back to normal. Truthfully, Oliver was tired. Not physically tired, but mentally and emotionally. For so long, he had thought he could handle Victoria, but he actually couldn't. For so long, he had thought he would never leave Hogwarts, but he was leaving the castle at the end of this term. For so long, he had longed to see the real world, and now he wanted to stay a child forever. Of course, he also didn't want to stay a child forever. Staying a kid would mean no more Victoria, and he had fought too much for her to just let her go that easily.

Back to top Go down
Matthew Bennett
Slytherin Prefect
Slytherin Prefect
Matthew Bennett

My Character
Activity:

Brothers (Matthew) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brothers (Matthew)   Brothers (Matthew) EmptyWed Dec 09, 2015 2:38 pm

Once, there was a time when Matthew would’ve pressured Ollie into divulging more information about his strange desire to be able to name all of the human bones. Because then, he’d thought that Ollie was cool, and that everything he did had to be completely awesome. Now, Matthew understood that his older brother was just weird as hell. There were literally innumerable possibilities for why Ollie was sitting by himself on a bridge reading about bones. ”Alright then,” Matthew replied with a shrug, his tone losing the edge of confusion it had taken on. He absentmindedly traced a swirl of fire into the air with his wand and glanced over at the book sitting in Ollie’s lap. ”I mean, isn’t anatomy a little boring? Even for you?” Matthew couldn’t help but ask, his curiosity getting the better of him. Ollie could find even the dumbest things interesting, but studying anatomy was pretty damn close to watching paint dry.

Matthew cut himself off when Ollie started talking at the same time, but when his brother seemed bent on letting him continue, he finished his sentence. And then, Ollie started getting all defensive on him, like Matthew had done anything to deserve it. ”I was only kidding, Ollie, relax,” Matthew frowned, looking over at his brother. Matthew could be a sarcastic git to him sometimes, but Ollie rarely got defensive about things, and rarely took it out on other people. So when he did, Matthew always found it hard to continue being a sarcastic git, because it usually meant Ollie was dealing with something. And though they weren’t exactly as close as they used to be, Matthew hated seeing Ollie truly upset. ”What’s with you lately? You’ve been so moody the past few weeks.”

Oh, shit, that’s right. Matthew was telling Ollie something important. Suddenly, Matthew wasn’t sure what to say. Because it was no secret that Ollie didn’t like Ari, and though it was completely stupid Matthew knew that deep down, he wanted Ollie’s approval. And he was pretty sure he wouldn’t get it. With a sigh, he finally spoke up. ”Okay, so, it’s a few things, really,” Matthew started, hesitating for a moment before continuing. ”I – Okay, so, you know Ari – of course you know Ari, I mean, I know that you know her, it’s just that – I um – “ Holy shit, this stuttering thing was really getting old. ”Ari and I are kind of… together,” Matthew finally blurted out, looking over at Ollie to gauge his reaction. ”And, she’s coming to stay with us for the holidays,” he added after a moment, because it was better for him to get it over with all at once. ”And you can’t tell Mom,” he finished, dropping the biggest bombshell of the three. He could practically hear the stress in his own voice, which was uncharacteristic of him. But this wasn’t something he thought Ollie would take well, and he was truthfully concerned about his brother’s reaction.

Head Boy
Head Boy
Oliver Bennett

My Character

Brothers (Matthew) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brothers (Matthew)   Brothers (Matthew) EmptyWed Dec 09, 2015 4:18 pm

Although Oliver wouldn't admit it, he liked that Matthew could literally make fire. Admitting it would mean that Ollie agreed fire was amazing and all those things Matthew called it, but fire was - more or less - a destructor. Especially of trees. Regardless of how old he was now, and how much he had grown up in the last few years, Oliver was still a tree-hugger. Although, not in public. Ollie watched as Matthew traced a fiery swirl, his eyes not leaving the flame until Matthew put it out. When his brother started asking questions again, Oliver looked at him. "It's not just anatomy, Matty." Oliver hadn't used that name in a while, so he figured it was time to do so again, just to annoy his younger brother a little.

"It's also Healing Magic. I just have to get through the anatomy part first." Oliver shrugged, taking the book in his hands again and giving it a glance over before putting it aside again. "I've been thinking, if the Department of Mysteries doesn't work, I could go into healing." Oliver didn't say anything about how he had been thinking of healing from even before Victoria took the training, because he figured Matthew wouldn't believe him anyway. Chuckling, Oliver thought about how funny it was that Matthew didn't like Victoria and Oliver didn't like Ariadne. Though, of course, Matthew wasn't dating Ariadne.

Sighing, Oliver murmured an apology before deciding to tell Matthew what he was actually thinking. "I'm just tired, I guess." He shrugged, suddenly unable to voice his worries to his brother. "There's been a lot on my mind." He wasn't sure Matthew would pick up on it, because Ollie had gotten relatively good at lying since Durmstrang and Martha-Louise happened. However, he hadn't practiced with any of his family members yet, so hopefully Matthew was distracted by something else. It really wasn't the time to get depressed about leaving Hogwarts, childhoods ending and purity loss.

Silently, Oliver waited for Matthew to spill out whatever it was. His mind was coming up with possible phrases he could say, such as "I'm failing Transfiguration." Or "I smoked weed last summer with some of the Muggle kids" or "I am sorry but I was angry and chopped down ten trees." Something along those lines would have been better than what Matthew actually started saying. Oliver knew where things were going the moment Matthew opened his mouth. Still holding on hope that Matthew was NOT saying what Ollie thought he was saying, Oliver glared at his brother, but the young Slytherin wasn't yet looking at him. And then he said it; Matthew said exactly what Oliver had been hoping not to hear.

But there was more; apparently Matthew thought Ariadne could just show up at their home for Christmas. Ha. As if. "No, she's not." Oliver scoffed. "Mum won't let her." But of course he hadn't told their mum. As hard as he tried, Oliver couldn't help himself and rolled his eyes. "You can't ask me that!" he half-yelled. "Matthew, you're willing to lie to mum just to spend time with Ariadne. Come on, that's a new level of shitty." It was hard to remember of Matthew had ever heard Ollie curse, but at this point Oliver didn't care.

He was disappointed for multiple reasons. One, that Matthew had chosen someone as shallow and arrogant as Ariadne. Second, that Matthew had made plans for Ariadne to spend Christmas with them when Christmas was strictly a Bennett thing at their house. If anything, Oliver had as much right to make plans with Victoria but he didn't because he actually respected his parents' wish to be a family on Christmas. Third, that Matthew was lying about Ariadne...to their mother! Unable to say anything, Oliver just glared at his brother. He loved Matthew, but he couldn't just help him sneak his girlfriend in and lie to their mother at the dinner table.[/color]

Last edited by Oliver Bennett on Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Matthew Bennett
Slytherin Prefect
Slytherin Prefect
Matthew Bennett

My Character
Activity:

Brothers (Matthew) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brothers (Matthew)   Brothers (Matthew) EmptyMon Dec 14, 2015 5:20 pm

Matthew glanced sideways at Ollie when his brother called him Matty, but he didn’t bother complaining. In a way, he didn’t mind – he was finally starting to feel the distance between them. At first, it had felt like freedom, to finally be independent from Ollie. Now, it just felt like he’d hit the end of a rope, and to stretch it any further was just uncomfortable. Testing the waters – finding the end – even if Ollie hadn’t left, Matthew would have done it at some point. But now that he had, he realized that whatever was still connecting them wasn’t a chain he wanted to break. He just hoped that Ollie would like who he’d become just as much as who he’d been. Because truthfully, Matthew wasn’t sure if his brother realized how much he’d changed. Maybe Ollie had been too busy changing himself to notice.

Healing magic. Of course. Of course, most people would instantly think that it was because of Victoria. Ollie had pined after her for basically his whole life – it would make sense that he wanted to follow her. But Matthew’s mind surprisingly didn’t take that route at all. Instead, he nodded in understanding. ”That sounds a bit more like you,” Matthew told him, smiling. ”When we were little, I always imagined you’d be some kind of healer. Maybe because you always bandaged me up when I did something stupid like fall out of a tree, so that mum wouldn’t know I was doing everything I wasn’t supposed to,” he added with a laugh, but after a moment his voice took on a slightly more serious tone. ”Really though, Ollie, I couldn’t figure out why you wanted to work for the Department of Mysteries in the first place. You care about people – even if you’ve been acting like a moody git lately. I think you’d be a great healer – you know, if my opinion still matters, that is.” The last was supposed to be sarcastic, but in the end, it came out a little uncertainly, and he glanced over at his brother because he was actually curious about the answer.

Ollie obviously wasn’t telling him everything, although the words fell so smoothly from his mouth that Matthew might have thought he was being honest. But he knew his brother – he wouldn’t act like this if he was just tired. For now, Matthew let it drop. But with the intention of bringing it up again later when he got the chance. For now, he had to deal with the situation at hand. And, unfortunately, Ollie responded just as badly as Matthew had expected. He sighed, glancing over at his brother. ”Mum already said she could come – invited her on her own, practically.” Just like Matthew had wanted. He felt his brow crease in worry, but he continued. ”I am asking you that,” he added, his voice steady.

But his concern faded slightly when Ollie accused him of doing all this just to spend time with Ari. ”That isn’t why,” he retorted instantly, his tone defensive. ”I see her every day, Ollie, do you really think I would ask you to do this just because I want to see her?” He wasn’t sure if he was being defensive of himself or Ari, and in the end decided it was a bit of both. Because Ollie had no reason not to like Ari, he just didn’t. ”I don’t know why you’re so against her, Ollie, you don’t even know her,” Matthew said evenly. ”She’s been through a lot, okay? And she doesn’t have anyone else to spend Christmas with.” Matthew didn’t want to tell Ollie about all of the shit in Ari’s life, because he knew she wouldn’t want him to. ”And whether you like her or not, are you really the kind of person now that would want anyone to spend Christmas alone?” He didn’t used to be. ”Please?” Matthew added after a moment.”Ollie, please just do this for me.”

Head Boy
Head Boy
Oliver Bennett

My Character

Brothers (Matthew) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brothers (Matthew)   Brothers (Matthew) EmptyTue Dec 15, 2015 2:43 am

There was no sign of annoyance when Oliver changed around Matthew's name, something he actually hadn't expected. Well, he had. Oliver had just hoped it wouldn't be so soon. Having Matthew complain about it was much better than having Matthew not react at all, because it meant his brother no longer cared. Looking back at the textbook on his lap, Oliver tapped it lightly. Unable to say anything for a few seconds. Truth was, he was running out of ideas on how to make things right between him and his brother.

Oliver instantly smiled, though. "I know." Of course Ollie knew healing magic sounded more like him. He liked it, it was easy, and he had thought about it for a long, long time. Oliver continued to listen to Matthew, knowing that he was right. Though they had never had a perfect relationship, Ollie was often helping Matthew out of trouble. Matthew had never truly been one to inspire Oliver, but at this moment, he was doing it by simply stating the truth. "After grandpa died, I don't know...I feel like I have to at least try it. For him." That part was true. Oliver had even voiced that concern to Morgana, but someone telling Matthew about it was strange. Almost as if he was afraid to disappoint his brother, though there was nothing to be disappointed about. Although Oliver had made it a point to be as real as he could, the moment their grandparent had died he figured that being real could wait a little. He would give it his best.

Besides, there really couldn't be anything too terrible at the Department of Mysteries. Oliver almost rolled his eyes when Matthew became a little dramatic. Instead, he gave his brother a small smile. "Are you kidding? Your opinion always matter, Matthew. I just don't have much time to ask you since, you know, this is my last year at Hogwarts. "And there it was, the source of Oliver's moodiness. He hadn't meant to tell his brother, it just slipped. Truthfully, Oliver didn't want to say it out loud because saying it out loud made it true. But now that it was on the table, Oliver chose to deal with it once and for all. "I'm just sad, I suppose. About everything. I mean, here you are enjoying your life at the castle and mine is ending. I mean, my time here is coming to an end. Like I'm losing my childhood. Maybe I'll even start wearing suits and ties and real pants and shit like that." Oliver was getting a little annoyed at reality. "And I know that time doesn't actually exist, but I feel like I wasted some of it and now I really want it back." His problems obviously weren't as big as Matthew's.

And with good reason. There was nothing worse Oliver could have expected than "I'm dating Ariadne and she's spending Christmas at our place." Dating Ariadne was a greater problem in itself. Sure, Oliver had joked about it before but it was only a joke back then. Merely another way to annoy his brother. Oliver's eyes widened when Matthew informed him of his mother's actions. Of course. Of course. Where as Matthew was more similar to their father, Oliver was more like their mother. Meaning, they were both gullible beyond reason. "Well, your request is denied." Oliver replied flatly. "I can't lie to them." Truthfully, Oliver could lie to them, especially his mum. The thing was, Oliver didn't want to. Frowning a little, Oliver let the realization sink in. He disliked Ariadne enough that he was willing to blur out the truth about his brother's relationship with the redhead just to see her go. Feeling his chest tighten, Oliver's eye turned away from his brother's. Oliver only knew heartbreak hurt, he had never expected to hear his own heart breaking over something he himself had done. It was a low but sharp sound, as if he had quietly, but quickly, ripped a sheet of paper in half. As if Matthew didn't hear it, but Oliver did. Very clearly.

It was the exact kind of loss Oliver had been afraid of. To lose who he was, to lose the purity his grandparent had once praised him for, the imagination that he cherished more than anything else, the blind faith that allowed him to stand up for himself and his beliefs. In a second, with just a single evil thought, Oliver had lost that. Or at least it felt like that to him. Snapping from his own thoughts, Oliver turned back to Matthew when he got defensive. "Yeah, and I don't want to know her." Oliver didn't have to explain why he didn't like Ariadne. Who he liked and didn't like was his alone. Oliver was done explaining himself to people. "Look, maybe if you had both come to me I would have been able to help. You can't just expect me to lie for you without knowing why I have to lie." Their parents trusted Oliver. They trusted him to be the responsible, if somewhat weird, one out of the two of them. Oliver would have been able to convince his mother to let Ariadne stay. If they had come to him first. But they didn't.

What Matthew said wouldn't have bothered Oliver except for the fact that he had included one word. Now. Of course Oliver was aware he had changed, very aware, but he hadn't expected to come off as a different person. Sitting up, Oliver leaned back a little. "It's not like I'm the only one who's changed. Look at you! You used to be great. Now you're, well, I don't even know because we hardly talk anymore." It seemed he was getting a little defensive this time, a little guarded. Whatever walls Oliver had put up while at Durmstrang, he had let them down at Hogwarts because the people here were nicer, better. Except he could imagine those walls around him again, not even letting his brother in. There were things about him that Oliver didn't know, just like Oliver had his own secrets, but before this moment it was still a possibility for him to share them with Matthew. The walls softened, though, because the truth was - it wasn't about Ariadne at all. It was about his brother. Sighing, Oliver looked away. "I can't lie, Matthew. But I won't bring it up. If they figure it out and ask me, I will have to tell the truth." he paused, still leaning back, away from his own brother. "I just won't call you out on it." It was the best Oliver could do. Because the truth was, Oliver wasn't even sure how much he had changed in comparison to Matthew.

Back to top Go down
Matthew Bennett
Slytherin Prefect
Slytherin Prefect
Matthew Bennett

My Character
Activity:

Brothers (Matthew) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brothers (Matthew)   Brothers (Matthew) EmptySat Jan 02, 2016 2:08 pm

Matthew nodded in understanding when Ollie brought up their grandpa. He should've figured. "Guess I could've figured that out on my own," he replied. "But I'm also pretty sure grandpa wouldn't have wanted you to do something that you're rubbish at. You know, and disgrace the family name and all that." Matthew glanced back over at Ollie with a small grin to show he was joking. "Sorry, I meant to say, I think he'd want you to do something you really liked doing." Rather than pretending to be this person that he wasn't. Or, rather than becoming this person that he didn't used to be. Matthew wasn't sure which was true anymore. Ollie had always had that unique quality of living his life for himself without ever being selfish. Where had that part of him gone?

Ah. Well, there was a bit of explanation, at least. Again, though, he should've known. Maybe Matthew was a bit more guilty of not paying attention than he'd originally thought. He felt something settle a bit in his stomach when Ollie insisted that his opinions did still matter, but at the same time didn't quite believe it. Part of him wanted to retort back, call his brother out on his probable lie, but he bit his tongue. Because Ollie was talking about what was bothering him, and for a moment he could pretend things were back to normal between them. So he just watched Ollie, listening as he spoke. Of course, he had to refrain from rolling his eyes at the time doesn't actually exist part - apparently, normal Ollie was in there. Matthew's brother had so many weird ideologies that Matthew never bothered to fight with him about. "It has to be weird, to move on from Hogwarts," Matthew agreed. "But, I wouldn't say that you wasted your time up until now." But Matthew wasn't sure what else to say, because the truth was that everyone had to move on eventually. He was sure he'd be sad when it was his turn to leave. But just like Ollie, he'd have to accept it. "And anyway, if you're so worried about wasting time, maybe you shouldn't waste any more of it, yeah?"

Well your request is denied. It wasn't what he'd said, it was how Ollie had said it. His voice wasn't just even, it was cruel. For Ollie, that is. In the sense that it was maybe the most hateful he'd ever heard his brother sound. And instantly, Matthew tensed in response, his gaze turning into a glare. "Well, sometimes you don't have a choice, Ollie. Sometimes, you have to get to know people that you never wanted to in the first place." Truthfully, Matthew hadn't wanted to know Ari in the first place. But he'd been wrong, and so was Ollie. "I know I wasn't the most supportive of Victoria at first, but I haven't been rude to her, have I? I don't mind her coming to the house, I'm always nice enough to her, I play board games with you guys, for Merlin's sake! And now that she's been around, I can admit that I was wrong to judge her so quickly at first." Well, truthfully, Matthew never would have admitted it out loud if he wouldn't have helped his cause. But it was the truth, nonetheless. "And that was different, anyway. I was a kid - I was jealous. You don't have that excuse, Ollie, you're just being a git."

Was Ollie being serious? "I gave you a reason. Enough of one, at least." Matthew wanted to scream out of frustration, but refrained. "And you're telling me if I brought Ari with me to ask it would've been better?" His voice had taken on a slightly incredulous tone. "I mean, you just made it clear just how much you don't like her. Not that you weren't plenty obvious about it before - she's afraid of you. I'd never make her talk to you, Ollie, because she thinks you hate her and she's right." This had escalated far more quickly than Matthew would've liked, and he knew that fighting with Ollie wasn't the way to get what he wanted. But he couldn't help it - being nostalgic about leaving school wasn't a good reason to be a hateful git.

But then, when Ollie kept talking, Matthew knew that if he hadn't won his brother over by now he'd have no hope of it. Because all at once, Matthew felt every bit of sympathy or empathy or understanding that he had for his brother disappear. Along with whatever amount of respect was left. You used to be great. Used to be. Whatever part of Matthew that was left that longed for Ollie's approval died, and for the first time since Ollie had left for Durmstrange, Matthew felt like what was wrong between them was actually beyond repair. His voice was cold when he replied. "You're right. You don't know." He silenced himself after that, because he was sure if he didn't he'd say something that he'd come to regret. Though, in reality, if Ollie hadn't decided to give into his request, he might've gone off on him anyway. But, unwilling to give up what he'd wanted from Ollie now that he'd gotten it, he kept his mouth shut.

"Thanks," he replied shortly, pulling himself to his feet. He no longer wanted Ollie's company - in fact, his brother's face was starting to make him a bit sick. Not bothering to say goodbye, he shouldered his bag and stepped around Ollie, making his way back to the castle. But after a few strides, his hurt got the better of him, and he hesitated and turned to look back. Taking a breath, he allowed himself one stab back at his brother before turning his back on him and walking away. "And for the record, you used to be great too."

Brothers (Matthew) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brothers (Matthew)   Brothers (Matthew) Empty

Back to top Go down

Brothers (Matthew)
Page 1 of 1